Author Topic: towing pop up camper safely  (Read 3800 times)

Offline harmonyjeepgrl

towing pop up camper safely
« on: March 02, 2016, 08:20:27 pm »
Hi everyone!

I have gotten mixed information regarding towing safely with my vehicle so I thought I would reach out for some consensus.  I have a 2005 manual 6 speed Wrangler Sport - straight 6 - mostly still stock. I want to tow a pop up camper across the country- it is approximately 2300 lbs and 12 feet when all closed up. Safe? any advice is welcomed!  :)

Here is the ad for the camper (http://www.drewsrvtechs.com/Pop-Ups.html)
I have attached photos of both vessels and a picture of the chart in the Jeep owners manual for your review.

Thank you!!
-Crystal

Offline harmonyjeepgrl

Re: towing pop up camper safely
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:21:33 pm »
Jeep

Offline thefulminator

• thefulminator on webshots.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 09:05:04 pm »
Find your vehicle here with the correct engine etc. listed under DaimlerChryster.

http://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2005.pdf
2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight with Equalizer 10K
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)
We all bleed Orange and Black
GO BEAVS

Offline Snowhawk2

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 09:58:34 pm »
The camper is pretty lighweiight but so is the tow vehicle. Anything can tow anything but can it stop it, handle high winds, passing trucks all safely?  For me the wheel base of the Jeep would make it too dangerous.
Coach 2016  Newmar Ventana 4322 44' Class A Diesel Pusher.

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:29:09 am »
My concern would be the stopping ability going down a steep decline. I would recommend upgrading the braking system. Maybe look into adding surge brakes on the camper. Not an expensive upgrade; it will give you a lot of peace of mind on a 16 mile 8% grade.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:40:31 am by Happy Camper »
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys(2008 Fatboy, ATV's, the big boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Dockside

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:46:28 am »

Welcome to D&T!!!

Have to agree with what has been typed.  From the image and link (from thefulminator) it would seem the tow capacity is 2000 lbs at best (assuming the 4.0L engine).  The longer wheelbase unlimited (which I believe has 4 doors and would be a better option in this scenario) would be 3500 lbs.  Meaning - an empty Jeep with yourself, a full tank of fuel and the trailer would be over the towing capacity.  Add in some gear such as food, clothing, sports equipment, etc... and the vehicle will be taxed beyond it's max.  On a long trip such as the one being planned, safety is first and foremost.  Those long days where having to think about speed, wind, down hills, up hills, weather, mechanical issues, a blow out, etc... may wear, and stress you out.  On the flip side, a setup well within the limits makes the travel time part of the journey and IMHO very enjoyable.  Keep us posted - sounds like an exciting trip in the making.
2012 Ford F450 6.7 PS Crew
Sundance 3400qb
2018:
  • We'll figure it out