Author Topic: Tow Rig for 5ers  (Read 5656 times)

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
Re: Tow Rig for 5ers
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »
Thats exactly what he said and then next thing ya know he is "forced" into a deal he can't refuse.

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline swanny

• Global Moderator
    • Our Travels and Things
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 06:05:20 pm »
Ok Ace grab a mit and get in the game. It's easy just go look. Then a few weeks later go look and test drive. Do some research on the net and go look again. Then without warning you'll have on in your driveway. have fun.

kevin
2012 Montana 3625RE   07 Gmc 2500 Dmax / Allison
04 Skeeter Fish and Ski w/ 150hp Yamaha
DW Kathy  Goldens, Kobe (RIP) Yogi & Emma
http://OURTRAVELSANDTHINGS.shutterfly.com/

Offline clarkely

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 06:20:04 pm »
:funnypost:  :agree:

:nana: Come on Ace, everyone is doing it  :ohyeah:
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline jim

• Jims Camping Forums
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »
Ok, I'm gonna start off with saying that I believe I'm the exception to the rule here.
I have a 2005 Chevy crewcab with a short bed and a Reese 16k manual slider hitch.
So far (knock on wood) I've never had to slide the hitch back and if I did, the pin box would hit the tailgate for sure.
I swing the fiver around to a complete 90 degrees every time I park it in the back yard and never come close to hitting the cab of the truck.
This is with a 2010 Springdale 5er.

I have a friend with the same truck as me and an Outback 5er and he managed to smash his back window making a U-turn one day. if he had stopped and used the slider, he would still have his back window.

Bottom line is: I'm glad I got the slider hitch, but I can't use the slide feature unless I remove the tailgate since it would hit the trailer if I just opened it.
2005 2500HD crewcab 4x4 6.0
2010 Springdale 249FWBHSSR
Jims Camping Forums

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »
The hardest part about driving the truck so far is knowing what the diesel will give you.

For example, in the old truck, we cruised around nicely and the truck would shift around and figure out where it wanted to be.

New truck, it feels odd but once I am going over 35-40mph, its in 6th gear all the way up to 75mph... My brother has a 5.9 in his 2002 dodge and says he does the same thing. My first real truck was a 5 spd f-150 before the red truck... and you wouldnt go into OD or 5 until 55mph... The diesel just pulls through it all!

Matt

Jim- yes, the mega cab would be sweet! The back seat is a little small compared to the ford and chevy, but I dont sit back there! I would have been happy with an extended cab, but the boss lady wanted 4 doors. The backseat is just a little larger than the extended cab of my F-150... but oh well. The dog wont mind.

The 5.9 is pretty sick. Everyone I have shown the truck too is amazed that I found a 2007 with the 5.9. The truck build date was late 06, sold 12/2006. In Jan, 2007, the 6.7 went into the trucks, so this 2007 is quite rare. Add it to the manual tranny, and we got ourselves a winner.

The truck has mud terrains on it now. I bought a set of All Terrains E range tires and they are getting replaced next week. The old owner also had a 2" leveling kit in the front. That is going to be removed and the truck is going to get alligned. Ive been having fun with the exhaust as right now it is straight piped, but the stock muffler is also going back on next week. After that, I am going to put it in the body shop to two tone the rocker panels. Western PA is notorious for dirt and gravel roads and this truck saw its fair share of 37k miles worth. So the rockers are paint chipped. This will clean up the rockers and make the truck look brand new.... Im not worried about it and bet that the truck can live the rest of its life with some paint chips, but Im a bit of an OCD patient and the chips bother me... so Ill make it right later in the sumer.

Ill get some pics soon. Its been a long couple nights at the firehouse, so Ill get them up when I can. Possibly this weekend.

Thanks for all the support guys, Im psyched to have gotten a diesel!

PS- What guages should I be looking for? I figured on an EGT guage... but what else?

Matt

Thats to be expected. It is like driving a v-twin motorcycle vs an inline 4. One gives the high revs you are used to and the other just lugs anlong with the torque and to quote Eric Bostrum, when he went to Ducati, "it is sneaky fast". You dont get the high revving sensation associated with going fast, ya just go fast with a simple twist of the throttle.

As for that truck of yours, wait til you tow with it. Same thing there, you just roll on the throttle and occasionally you will actually find a hill that you will downshift to 5th and then just "let the big dog eat". I would recommend a good set of gauges for it, cause you will want to tow by your EGT's (exhaust gas temps). That truck will pull in lower rpm's, but you will get some high egt's if you let it lug down. Think it makes peak torque around 1600-1700rpms, so it will pull th ehills with no problem, but you may need to downshift to lower your egt's a bit.

Wow I am so psyched for you. You are gonna love that truck. If it were a megacab, that would be my hands down choice of Dodges. Last year of the 5.9 and a manual.

Good for you.

Jim
2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:39 pm »
Matt,
Why the changes? Already straight piped and the leveling kit. Those are some very common upgrades. THe more air you can get in and out the better and the leveling kit gives it a "truck" stance.

Gauges? Well the most common are the boost, trans and egt. I have had a bit of success with Glowshift gauges, bang for the buck they are pretty nice and function fine. http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/index.aspx?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=GlowShift%20Gauges&utm_content=417389423&utm_campaign=3327268677   If you begin modding, some suggest you start monitoring some fuel pressures.

Here is great website and a great guy. His name is Rich and he is into building reliable machines for real world driving and towing. Not just rollin coal and tryin to sell ya stuff. Good link on his site to "see where to start". Have spoken to him on a few occasions and he is a wealth of knowledge. http://www.doghousediesel.com/

Jim

Offline Lad79der

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:30 pm »
I may have misspoke about the exhaust... and i read about it on the site you mentioned.

It isnt a straight pipe exhaust. Its a stock exhaust that the muffler was cut out on. He refers to it as an open exhaust and man, is it loud! There is nothing there to silence the noise and the drone is horrible.

Once i have some money saves, a good Stainless 4" or 5" turbo back exhaust is on my list, but I need to get the noise under control ASAP. Its loud with nothing!

Ill post pics this weekend.

Matt
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »
I may have misspoke about the exhaust... and i read about it on the site you mentioned.

It isnt a straight pipe exhaust. Its a stock exhaust that the muffler was cut out on. He refers to it as an open exhaust and man, is it loud! There is nothing there to silence the noise and the drone is horrible.

Once i have some money saves, a good Stainless 4" or 5" turbo back exhaust is on my list, but I need to get the noise under control ASAP. Its loud with nothing!

Ill post pics this weekend.

Matt

Yoou can usually grab one off of one of the forums. Guys are always changing back and forth and selling the "aftermarket" straight thru mufflers and going to nothing. Heck you may even be able to trade someone for your section of straight pipe for their muffler. Mine was cat deleted with a straight thru muffler, which I bought off of ebay for $75.

Good forum is www.cumminsforum.com

Jim

Offline Lad79der

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 01:13:39 am »
Jim- Im on Cumminsforum a good deal. I also like Genos Garage too. Both are good sites.

CumminsForum has an entire forum with 4-5 pages of how to tech articles... and some of them are very very well written.

2011 Outback 277RL

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 11:18:45 am »
Jim- Im on Cumminsforum a good deal. I also like Genos Garage too. Both are good sites.

CumminsForum has an entire forum with 4-5 pages of how to tech articles... and some of them are very very well written.

Yeah I got alot of help there and Geno's has some pretty crazy things you would never think they even offered.

Another great resource is a guy in GA, Doghouse Diesel. http://www.doghousediesel.com/ Rich is very knowledgeable and very into reliable improvements and he has a good website. Spoke to him a few times on the phone and he took the time to chat without pricing me to death or constantly trying to sell me something.

Have fun.

Jim