Author Topic: Wireless Internet/WiFi Solution Seeking  (Read 260 times)

Offline LaydBack

• 2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Edition
Wireless Internet/WiFi Solution Seeking
« on: March 01, 2018, 11:40:39 am »
We're looking for a solution for having wireless connectivity at our seasonal. It would be used for the girlfriend to be able to work from the campground, streaming music and movies, and maybe the kids gaming (least important).  We don't mind a reasonable monthly rate if it gets us past the throttling and low limits.  I just figured I'd ask here and see what you guys are using and how you're routing to multiple devices, etc.  Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

LAYD BACK is a way of life
Me, DW, 4 DSs (25, 23, 9, 7)...figured out what caused that...had it fixed!
2013 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Edition
B&W Companion,  Trailair Rotaflex Pinbox, Trail Air Equaflex, JTs Strong Arms, 12 Gallon Water Heater, Dual ACs, Central Vac, Fireplace, Ceiling Fan, Super Lounge, Slide Toppers

Mods: VacPan, 50A Hardwired Surge Guard, Vortex II in Half Bath, MaxAir Fanmate Covers, 26" LED in bedroom, Slide out 32" LED in pass thru, 32" LED in Bunkhouse, Screen Door Grab Bars, 50A Home Hookup w/ Cable & Wifi

[Pics of My Mods]

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
Re: Wireless Internet/WiFi Solution Seeking
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 12:34:10 pm »
My truck has a hotspot with a reasonable monthly rate.  I turn it on when we're traveling as a family. of course letting it run all day at camp wouldn't be efficient....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline Dockside

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:15:39 pm »
We built a system that resembles the WiFi ranger system.  In a nut shell it uses two routers flashed with dd-wrt.  One router, the "external" router, is used for connecting to WiFi sources and can be fitted with different antennas (if needed) to boost the signal.  This router is set to client mode and connects to external WiFi sources (requires a little configuration in one place each time the fiver lands).  We use a Verizon MiFi as a fail over.  The MiFi isn't needed, but we need a solid connection as to not interrupt work.  The "external" router is hardwired via a network cable into a 2nd "internal" router.  The "internal" router is setup as a standard in house router with the network cable from the "external" router plugging into the Internet connection (just like a home cable box/wireless router setup).  Seems complicated, but it really isn't.

Why go through all this trouble?  A small list of reasons:  All the devices (we have 9) only connect to one router and don't need to be reconfigured with each move; Some service providers have a device limit per account.  This setup looks like a single device to those service providers;  All of the devices on the "internal" router have access to printers and file sharing within the fiver; Browsing rules setup for family members on the "internal" router are in place; Last but not least, all the devices stay behind a router based firewall for a bit of added protection.

Speeds vary with each campground as it all depends on what the campground uses to back haul the traffic out of the park.  During the daytime at most campgrounds we can get 10 Mbps up and down (plenty of bandwidth for streaming and/or working).  However that normally falls to about 1 Mbps up/down during busy times (barely enough bandwidth to surf and check emails).  That is where the MiFi kicks in and is pretty consistent between 10-15 Mbps down and 5-10 Mbps up.

Hopefully this helps and doesn't confuse the matter.  I'll be writing a more detailed article on this soon.

2012 Ford F450 6.7 PS Crew
Sundance 3400qb
2018:
  • We'll figure it out

Offline LaydBack

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:37 pm »
If I'm not mistaking, she has a mifi...if that's the hotspot from Verizon.  The campground offers nothing free, we can do Tengo there, I just wasn't sure if there were any other national providers.  I was figuring that whatever we use, we'd have to get a router.

B&W Companion,  Trailair Rotaflex Pinbox, Trail Air Equaflex, JTs Strong Arms, 12 Gallon Water Heater, Dual ACs, Central Vac, Fireplace, Ceiling Fan, Super Lounge, Slide Toppers

Mods: VacPan, 50A Hardwired Surge Guard, Vortex II in Half Bath, MaxAir Fanmate Covers, 26" LED in bedroom, Slide out 32" LED in pass thru, 32" LED in Bunkhouse, Screen Door Grab Bars, 50A Home Hookup w/ Cable & Wifi

[Pics of My Mods]

Offline Dockside

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:38:54 pm »

Seems like most campgrounds use Tengo.  We use Tengo (premium plan) quite a bit, however, it comes with a device limit (this could be campground specific) which gets old if you have more devices than the limit allows.  Always have to login and switch out a device (which is always the device someone else is using at that time  :o ).

Haven't had an issue with Tengo, the slow downs are normally from the campground's back haul connection to the Internet and not the Tengo infrastructure.  Tengo gets a bad wrap over this.  Over the past 6 months, most of our traffic has been over a Tengo infrastructure (premium subscription) and I would say it's been acceptable about 90% of the time.  That 10% of unacceptable time is when the hotspot (MiFi) comes in handy.
Sundance 3400qb
2018:
  • We'll figure it out

Offline chilipyro

• Camping and Mod Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 02:39:55 pm »
Streaming music and especially movies (and kids gaming) are where you are going to have difficulty with internet connectivity that is supplied by anything other than broadband. Dockside's setup sounds fantastic. I tried to do something similar and ran in to a bunch of issues - I will have to check his out the next time we camp together :). That setup would let you tap in with better reliability to the Tengo service. I don't know if this service caps or throttles connections. Even if it does not do that, I have yet to run into a campground wifi service that is not horribly slow and congested. Many campgrounds block streaming services. The ones that don't have service that is too slow to stream anything. Then again, if Tengo doesn't charge by use, and if the campground you are parking in is not that congested, this is probably your best hope. By the way, you need line of sight to your campground's wifi antenna. If there are trees in the way, no antenna will help.

If you stream on any cellular hotspot, you will burn through your data plan after a couple of movies (and that is only if you have a beefy data plan). If you can't do this over your campground wifi, your best bet is probably satellite for movies and music.

For just work, or web browsing, you are probably fine with cellular or campground.
2009 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2012 F350 King Ranch 4x4 Dually Longbed 6.7L Turbo Diesel (5990lbs payload - yeah baby!!),
Reese Dual Cam Hitch, Honda 2000 gens x2
Me, DW, DS (14), DS (12), DD (10), and our two little dogs

Offline LaydBack

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:15:33 pm »
Seems like most campgrounds use Tengo.  We use Tengo (premium plan) quite a bit, however, it comes with a device limit (this could be campground specific) which gets old if you have more devices than the limit allows.  Always have to login and switch out a device (which is always the device someone else is using at that time  :o ).

Haven't had an issue with Tengo, the slow downs are normally from the campground's back haul connection to the Internet and not the Tengo infrastructure.  Tengo gets a bad wrap over this.  Over the past 6 months, most of our traffic has been over a Tengo infrastructure (premium subscription) and I would say it's been acceptable about 90% of the time.  That 10% of unacceptable time is when the hotspot (MiFi) comes in handy.
Doesn't the router get you around the device limit, or is that what requires 2 routers?

[Pics of My Mods]

Offline Dockside

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:05:27 pm »
Doesn't the router get you around the device limit, or is that what requires 2 routers?

Correct.  The external router is the client device and the 2nd router is for all the devices.
Sundance 3400qb
2018:
  • We'll figure it out

Offline LaydBack

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:30:34 pm »
Test

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

[Pics of My Mods]

Offline LaydBack

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 05:49:31 am »
Anyone familiar with the Winegard Connect?  There's a new version out.  The new unit is due to arrive at the dealer, if it hasn't already.  I talked with a production manager at the factory,  and he had them add some not yet released features to my unit...wifi connectivity that will allow for remote access to several things - hvac, water heater, and some other things...just debating on hardware and whether to do tengo or try adding a Winegard Connect as an additional line on our cell/data plan?????

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

[Pics of My Mods]