Author Topic: The Future of Camping  (Read 2031 times)

Offline DHDB

The Future of Camping
« on: April 20, 2015, 03:43:06 pm »
Just curious how people feel about this: 
http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4179943471001/bears-with-wifi-camping-goes-glam-/?#sp=show-clips

Although it is nice to have all the comforts of home, wifi, etc...    It still is nice to escape those.
What do you look for in a CG and why....
"D"an, "H"olly, "D"aniel-16, “B"rian-15, and Gunnar-2 (NAID), Tehya-6mo (NAID)
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab "Big Horn", 8' Fisher HD Plow
2010 Outback 301BQ (arrived April 2010) Slide Toppers, Power Tongue Jack, Bal-x-Choks, electric fireplace, and
many mods completed
Equal-i-zer Hitch, Prodigy P-3 Brake Contoller, Garmin Nuvi 255W, Boliy Pro3600SiE Gen.

Parked

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
Re: The Future of Camping
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 04:38:55 pm »
I like both....

For instance, on this trip we stopped at cherry hill park on the way down and had it all, but did a South Carolina state park down on the beach as the second stop.

I think mixing it up is the key for our family. A little high tech and a little rustic, but all of either and it would not be good for us.

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline chilipyro

• Camping and Mod Photos
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:06:47 pm »
Ahh, I miss the good old days. Drinking sterno in a two man tent - now that's living!

I don't know about you, but KOA is not the first thing that came to my mind when she started the article to talk about the rising trend of 'glamping'.

I expect wifi in a private campground these days. Wifi saves on data usage - also helps when the cell connection is bad. But, things would have to be very equal on all other fronts, to choose one campground over another due to wifi availability. Most of the time I choose for a) closeness to where I want to be (or distance from the road, if it is a stop-over) b) electric hookups, if it is summertime c) attractive and/or reasonably private sites and d) Campfires allowed. Pools and other amenities use to be important, but not so much as the kids have grown older.

2009 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2012 F350 King Ranch 4x4 Dually Longbed 6.7L Turbo Diesel (5990lbs payload - yeah baby!!),
Reese Dual Cam Hitch, Honda 2000 gens x2
Me, DW, DS (14), DS (12), DD (10), and our two little dogs

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 06:41:24 pm »
I love WiFi for an overnight stop, but for our destinations it's not needed.  We're usually on the go most of the time and would rather see trees than routers.

That being said,  our style isn't everyone's,  so the variety is great,  and helps leave a spot for me that's challenging to back into with no hookups or amenities.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:52:45 pm by Nathan »
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06