Author Topic: Summer Vacation Plans 2013  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
Summer Vacation Plans 2013
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:05:37 am »
Well it's January, so it's vacation planning time.  Last year we went East, and I'm missing the mountains so this year is west again.  We haven't done the northern Rockies since before kids and my DW has never seen Glacier, so we now have a plan:

Head out US 2 across the top of the US until we hit Glacier NP.  Spend a couple days there (the kids are too small for serious hiking), and then head on up to Waterton Lakes, just across the border.  After a few days there, we'll head on up to Banff NP for a week before returning home.  Total trip time will be 3 weeks. 

We're definitely looking forward to it...  except for the 3 long days driving in either direction..  ;)
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
Re: Summer Vacation Plans 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:20:10 pm »
Sounds like a fun trip Nathan...

We are sitting down this weekend to begin planning our vacations.

Wont be able to enjoy a 3 weeker, but we will probably end up doing 2, 1 week stays somewhere.

Just trying to figure dates with weddings, birthdays, and everything else I got happening this year.

2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:45:13 pm »
Awesome Nathan !  We are on the eastern side of glacier from August 1st to August 5th.

Rally anyone ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:39:26 pm »
I'd love to except we have time constraints due to work, so it will be early July for us

Offline Willingtonpaul

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:56:51 am »
well, you'll see more snow then us, then.  keep a light on for us !
Lara the Golden ('13)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline jasonrebecca

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 02:17:24 pm »
We are torn on heading east through BC to Banff or head south to Utah for Arches and Zion.
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2008 Outback 21rs
DH (Jason) DW(Rebecca) DS(Oliver '11)  DD (Emily '14)DG (Penny '17)

Offline GB

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »
Hi All,

Well, trying to get six adults to agree on anything is difficult but when it comes to a vacation it can be daunting.  Having said that it looks like we will be trekking out way to the great American Southwest this summer.  We are looking at visiting some of the more popular locations, Zion in Utah and the Great Canyon as well as spending a week or so visiting family in Albuquerque.  I was wondering if any members from that area would share some thoughts on places to camp and such.  We were looking at other forums and came across one that said not to bring an RV into these areas as the roads won't handle it and they are too big to get around. Any truth to those comments?  Are there any campgrounds that you could recommend where we might get reservations even at this late date?  We were also looking for a place to camp in Albuquerque around the NE section near family and found a few by using google but they looked more like parking lots. I was wondering if that is the norm in that area due to the desert environ and I'm just used to the east coast.

If anyone has thoughts or suggestions to offer on any part of this journey all are welcome.

Thanks.

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK
2011 Chevy 2500 HD CC Duramax/Allison
2001 Chevy 1500 EC 5.3L 4.10 Rear
Me, DW, 4 Grown Children(29, 26, 22, 20) and one wonder dog

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 04:16:57 pm »
Hi All,

Well, trying to get six adults to agree on anything is difficult but when it comes to a vacation it can be daunting.  Having said that it looks like we will be trekking out way to the great American Southwest this summer.  We are looking at visiting some of the more popular locations, Zion in Utah and the Great Canyon as well as spending a week or so visiting family in Albuquerque.  I was wondering if any members from that area would share some thoughts on places to camp and such.  We were looking at other forums and came across one that said not to bring an RV into these areas as the roads won't handle it and they are too big to get around. Any truth to those comments?  Are there any campgrounds that you could recommend where we might get reservations even at this late date?  We were also looking for a place to camp in Albuquerque around the NE section near family and found a few by using google but they looked more like parking lots. I was wondering if that is the norm in that area due to the desert environ and I'm just used to the east coast.

If anyone has thoughts or suggestions to offer on any part of this journey all are welcome.

Thanks.

Greg

Haven't been to Zion in many years so I won't comment on that one.  Some other comments for other parks in the area however: 
Arches is a nice park to visit.  You don't want to haul a long trailer up into the park due to limited parking once you get in, but they let (and encourage you to) drop your trailer in the visitor center lot.  Then do the sightseeing and pick it up on the way out.  There is camping in Moab, UT just down the road and our campground was tight but had some shade.  Basically across the road is Canyonlands, another nice park to drive into, but we did leave our trailer at the campground in Moab.  For this trip we had our 35' 5'er and crew cab F350, so it's before we downsized and these aren't the parks we downsized for.

We hauled my parents rig (a slightly shorter 5'er) through Grand Canyon (South rim).  We parked in RV parking and then took the shuttle around to different stops.  That worked very well.  Any trailer would be a pain to find parking for.  Be aware that the North side of the Grand Canyon is closer to Zion but it's very different than the south side.  And it's about a day to get around that little ditch, so plan for that!  :)

Didn't look up your location, but other things that might be on your way that we have always enjoyed are:
Mesa Verde (SW Colorado)
Durango (for the Durango-Silverton Train)
Great Sand Dunes National Park
Route 66 in some of the remaining touristy stretches (Camped along it one night SW of the Grand Canyon and it was a neat sight to see)

It's funny because I was just thinking that maybe next year we should hit the southwest again since the kids are getting old enough to enjoy the history of places like Mesa Verde and my DD has never seen the grand canyon.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
Well it's January, so it's vacation planning time.  Last year we went East, and I'm missing the mountains so this year is west again.  We haven't done the northern Rockies since before kids and my DW has never seen Glacier, so we now have a plan:

Head out US 2 across the top of the US until we hit Glacier NP.  Spend a couple days there (the kids are too small for serious hiking), and then head on up to Waterton Lakes, just across the border.  After a few days there, we'll head on up to Banff NP for a week before returning home.  Total trip time will be 3 weeks. 

We're definitely looking forward to it...  except for the 3 long days driving in either direction..  ;)
T-minus 1 week and counting.  :)

Offline Willingtonpaul

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 05:01:40 pm »
T-minus 1 week and counting.  :)

:thumbsup:

have a great trip !  i was gonna PM you also, as i hope the flooding in the greater calgary area is not gonna have any effect on your plans....

Lara the Golden ('13)