Author Topic: New Dog and Trailer posting toy.... errr.... tool  (Read 8158 times)

Offline RVnMC

Re: New Dog and Trailer posting toy.... errr.... tool
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:01:11 am »
OK...I didn't understood what you boys said.

But can anyone fix the motherboard on my son's HP 6616 something?
He boogered it up and the BIOS and I can't get to recovery manager.
Want to restore to factory with recovery disks.
He has only had it for 2 years.
Either software sharing, gaming stuff and or "too much you know what". (He is 18...LOL)
Bev - '62
Drew - '64 GBNF 8/3/13
Jesse La Bandita '09 (Cocker Spaniel)
Winston Churchill '01 (Cocker Spaniel) RIP 5/26/13
2011 SD Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab XLT 158" WB 6.2L V8 3.73 ELA Class IV SOLD! 11/7/15
2012 Keystone Passport 199ML SOLD! 7/29/15
'12 H-D FLHX Street Glide

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13:29 am »
OK...I didn't understood what you boys said.

But can anyone fix the motherboard on my son's HP 6616 something?
He boogered it up and the BIOS and I can't get to recovery manager.
Want to restore to factory with recovery disks.
He has only had it for 2 years.
Either software sharing, gaming stuff and or "too much you know what". (He is 18...LOL)

Start the computer to power the DVD/CD drive Put windows disk or the recovery disc in the DVD/cd drive. turn power off and Reboot.  If the CMOS cant find the the OS on the boot disc it will look elsewhere. If you have the Windows Installation disc you can navigate to the repair/recover console thru a old DOS style menu within the boot/install menu. It takes quite a while for the windows install disc to load so be patient.
let me know how that goes. On HP machines sometimes you can hold down the either the F6 orF8 key while booting and it will give you boot options. One is Recovery
Eric
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:33:15 pm »
Thanks for the feedback on the yoga nathan.  I almost bought one, but went with the Dell XPS 13 instead.  I wasn't convinced I needed a touchscreen and the new tough pads support multi-touch so you still get most of the UI without having to touch the screen.

When you flip the bottom portion around to turn the yoga into tablet mode don't the keys rest on your palm?

The best feature on all of the new laptops (and many desktops with hybrid drives) is the SSD technology.  Its a solid state drive like in your iPod, iPad and phones.  They allow for blazing fast performance and take the bottle neck away from the platter style disk drive.  My laptop turns on almost as fast as my iPad and actually reboots faster.  I am in the process of building myself a new desktop and already have a 128 GB SSD for the main drive.  I will keep you guys posted on the details once its built if anyone is interested.

Yes, in tablet mode my hands are resting on the keyboard.  Hopefully it will hold up.  Actually, if I'm going to type I use the real keyboard.  I use tablet or stand mode when reading or watching videos.

You're right about the SSD's though.  They are the best thing ever (other than the price).  I'm debating getting one for a desktop I have to get the thing to run faster.  My powerful desktop is still on Win 7, and it's beginning to show it's age.  I think I'll wait another year before I upgrade that computer though...
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline RVnMC

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »
Tried it all...F2, F19, F8.
Even took the battery out.
No smbios it some such.
Gets into a loop back to one screen.
Oh well...He will have to go to library. LOL
Bev - '62
Drew - '64 GBNF 8/3/13
2011 SD Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab XLT 158" WB 6.2L V8 3.73 ELA Class IV SOLD! 11/7/15

Offline CW3Jason

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:06 pm »
If he messed up the bios. It can be reset by removing the battery, then look for 2 jumper pins on the motherboard labled clr cmos or something like that and jump the 2 pins together. Then remove jumper and put battery back in. The computer should boot after and detect hardware. Save settings to cmos and then restart and do factory restore for the operating system if you still want to.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 08:18:17 pm »
Hopefully it will hold up.

I think you will be fine...we use Lenovo's at work almost exclusively and they take a good beating...one of several reasons I almost bought one for personal use.
2005 F150 Supercrew 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Turbo Diesel & 2011 Outback 260FL

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 08:23:42 pm »
One of the machines I built is with a 256 SSD drive and a 1 gig back up drive for Norton ghost to back up to weekly. When norton doesnt need the IDE drive I disconnect it via a tray. this makes the computer boot very fast. It's a 8 Core FX prosessor with 16 gig of DDR 3.. You will want a SATA III interface with the SSD as it is very fast OCZ and Crucial make some of the best SATA III drives with very high Data transfer rates. Your MOBO has to have a SATA III controller interface as well  to get the high DTR.  Most of the newer chipsets are SATA III..
eric

Thank you for the input Eric...here is the MOBO I am currently looking at. 

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P8Z77-V-1155-Intel-Motherboard/dp/B007G51UWY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3OX15MTBAT6Y9&coliid=I1DUC1ZPCP3R4P

...and here is the SSD I already picked up.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-128GB-2-5-Inch-Solid-CT128M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JKZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360027372&sr=8-1&keywords=crucial+m4+128gb+ct128m4ssd2

I should probably split this off instead of hijacking Nathan's thread...

Offline RVnMC

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 04:41:16 am »
If he messed up the bios. It can be reset by removing the battery, then look for 2 jumper pins on the motherboard labled clr cmos or something like that and jump the 2 pins together. Then remove jumper and put battery back in. The computer should boot after and detect hardware. Save settings to cmos and then restart and do factory restore for the operating system if you still want to.
Thanks, Jason...
Bev - '62
Drew - '64 GBNF 8/3/13

Offline Happy Camper

2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 07:23:33 pm »
Nice Mainboard...
Same motherboard for substantially less at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006654&isNodeId=1&Description=asus+p8z77+v+lk

Thank you sir!  I have ordered a ton of stuff from newegg, just had the link handy for amazon.  I will probably pull the trigger in the next week or two.  Been busy trying to change jobs and I am heading to VT for skiing tomorrow morning.

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:18 pm »
Thank you sir!  I have ordered a ton of stuff from newegg, just had the link handy for amazon.  I will probably pull the trigger in the next week or two.  Been busy trying to change jobs and I am heading to VT for skiing tomorrow morning.

You sound like you know what you're doing; I got that impression when we met and we were talking tech.. I've been working on computers since the days of XTs and 286s. and DOS 3.1. I also have an associates in Infomation Systems Technologies from USDA. If you are ever in a pinch give me a shout I might be able to help.
Have fun shreadin' snow, gotta get it while you can! Have a safe trip.

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 01:55:31 pm »
Welp, we (meaning I) went out this morning and bought us a new Toshiba Satellite C-875 laptop. Seems DW gave our old one and atomic elbow last night, right in the heart and now it won't even turn on. The geek squad said it could cost upwards of $1500 to try and read from the hard drive, so I will be busy starting over today. In the meantime its all gone, pics, files, everything. Knew I should have stopped procrastinating about backing this up. Need to do that soon I kept telling myself, ya never know I said. Well I was right. go me

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2013, 02:38:46 pm »
Welp, we (meaning I) went out this morning and bought us a new Toshiba Satellite C-875 laptop. Seems DW gave our old one and atomic elbow last night, right in the heart and now it won't even turn on. The geek squad said it could cost upwards of $1500 to try and read from the hard drive, so I will be busy starting over today. In the meantime its all gone, pics, files, everything. Knew I should have stopped procrastinating about backing this up. Need to do that soon I kept telling myself, ya never know I said. Well I was right. go me

Jim
Geek squad gave you some bad advise. You need to pick up a external USB drive case.  such as: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1399054&csid=_61

However, before you do you need to determine it's interface first. SATA or IDE. if it is less than 5 years old its probably SATA.
Flip over the  old dead laptop and they'll be a few access panels to get into the hard drive enclosure. Start pulling screws and covers until you see a little devise about 2.5" X 3" that's the hard drive. Once you get it out; either take a picture of the end where the connectors go and send it to me, or email me the model# and mfg name and I will let you know which case to get.
Once you get the case. you simply put the old hard drive in the case with the connecter, pluged in. close it up fire up the new laptop and then plug the cable from the external hard drive enclosure in the USB socket on the new laptop. Windows will see the drive and add it to windows explorer as a drive probably "D" or "E"  and there are all your old file.
Eric
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 02:43:14 pm by Happy Camper »

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
Re: Re: New Dog and Trailer posting toy.... errr.... tool
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 02:38:50 pm »

Jim
Based on the tech talk on here, I'd hold onto it and see if anyone has an idea.  For backup, I have the Seagate GoFlex Home.  It comes with software that auto backs up your files from 3 computers over your home network.  The files are backed up as they are created, so you are always protected.
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline Happy Camper

Re: Re: New Dog and Trailer posting toy.... errr.... tool
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
Based on the tech talk on here, I'd hold onto it and see if anyone has an idea.  For backup, I have the Seagate GoFlex Home.  It comes with software that auto backs up your files from 3 computers over your home network.  The files are backed up as they are created, so you are always protected.

I like Norton Ghost; It give you the ability to make a clone bootable drive from your original drive. One of my favorite old programs that would allow you to do that was Patition Magic but that program went out of production near the time Windows XP was released. It also does incremental backups in the background at a user selectabel interval,and it does it over a network or cloud drive too. Norton Ghost also allows you to make a bootable CD that has all your OS and Driver files on it.