Author Topic: So! You bought a new RV! Now what do you do!?  (Read 36519 times)

Offline egregg57

So! You bought a new RV! Now what do you do!?
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:22:58 am »
I had originally wrote this in my blog on another forum. I am bringing it here to share some tips with new owners, and first timers. Hopefully you'll get something out of this rambling!!

Okay! So you got a new, or new to you RV. Maybe its an Outback. Maybe your an SOB.... (Ha Ha..Some Other Brand!), in anycase congratulations!

You may find that you have questions about your new rig. You may realize that while at the dealership to pick up your new unit, the buzzing in your ear was actually a service tech that was providing a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) for you.

And yes while he or she instructed you on all that stuff, your brain was entertaining you with a melting drink in your hand while a warm summer breeze blew through your hair and across your face from under the awning of your new camper, while viewing that water from your Lafuma recliner.......

Yeah, that awning that you can't deploy because you don't remember a thing of what was said to you about it!! Shame, Shame SHAME!

LOL! You are about the 183,236,678th person this has happened to! Don't sweat it! You got friends!!

You'll find answers and help to just about anything you can think of in the realm of RV's, tow vehicles, campgrounds, recipes etc. Your never farther away than a internet connection from help and some fun.

So what do you REALLY need in your RV to go camping? I like to call it a finger print. Everyone is different has different tastes and priorities. There is a general list of common items that most have at least part of.

Ideally your trying to be prepared so that when you get out to your campsite, you have nothing to be concerned about other than changing position in your chair, when dinner is, and keeping the Pina Colodas coming.

It takes a bit of work to get to this point. Lists and suggestions have been compiled to make this an easier task the first time around. You and your family will need to tailor the list to what is important to you. So enough talk about the list...here it is...

Ahh, wait a minute.

It might be better for you to get a drink or make yourself comfortable first.....

Many people getting an RV for the first time have a bucket load of questions that are never thought of during the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) at the dealer. Additionally, sooner or later one asks the question, what do I really need to carry with me!? Well, here is something to get you off the ground and out into the woods....so to speak!

Campground guides and locators

www.Campgroundreport.com Unbiased reviews of Campgrounds submitted by people who have stayed at them. I have found that the reviews tend to be pretty accurate. We have had the misfortune of going to a new place before checking one of these sorts of websites. Wadleigh Falls and Friendly Beaver Campgrounds are two examples of “ooops! Won’t do that again” situations.

www.Woodalls.com Woodall’s is a recognized clearing house of information and ratings for campgrounds. We have found, though, that with Woodall’s it is sometimes very difficult to differentiate between one type of a campground to another. For example Chocorua Camping Village is a medium sized (was family owned, now a KOA campground) campground. It received a 5 W rating for the campground, recreation, activities etc. Danforth Bay which isn’t too far away received the same ratings. The two campgrounds are in two different spectrums. CCV is/was a family run campground. Nice staff, well maintained, things for the kids to do, a very nice place to go but realitively small and intimate. Danforth Bay is a resort with 3 pools, tennis courts, archery range, boats, huge recreation hall, just a massive place that tends to draw a large number of people and has well over 200 sites. Use Woodalls in conjunction with another web site such as campgroundreport.com or one of the networking websites.

Campgrounds are generally separated into three groups:

- Small/medium Privately Owned
- Medium sized Privately Owned or Franchise Such as KOA (Kampgrounds of America) Morgan RV Resorts ETC.
- Large Resort Campgrounds. For example, in New Hampshire and Maine Danforth Bay / Bayleys are examples of these.

Anything with “Resort” attached to its name will more than likely be a bit more expensive up to “Stoopid expensive” but usually will include many items such as Pools, Hot Tubs, Planned supervised Activities for kids and families, restaurants, and other amenities. For example Bayley’s offers free trolley service to Old Orchard Beach, 4 hot tubs, 3 in-ground pools, age specific play grounds, paddle boat rentals, fishing, free entertainment, on site repairs, convenience store, arcade and more.

If you want peace and quite the small to medium sized privately owned or franchised place is a good choice. Taking a vacation and want plenty of choices and convenience then a Resort may suit your needs.

Tina and I plan many of our trips this way. If we want a nice relaxing weekend then it’s off to Chocorua Camping Village. If we want Beach, Games, Entertainment, go go go then we might go to Danforth Bay or Bayley’s. Or perhaps we want the option of going to a particular place or attraction. We’ll tailor what we need with where we are going.

- We went to Washington DC and Stayed at Cherry Hill RV Resort. We needed a place that if we decided to stay at the campground we would be comfortable and have the things we needed with out having to go out. Heck they even had Pizza delivery! So not much to worry about and if we decided to just spend the day at the site, we would be happy and comfortable.

- On the other end of things, we went to the Cape and stayed at a place called Pete’s Pond, a smaller mom and pop place. it was quiet and freindly ans served as simply a step off pad for us to go do stuff.

So keep in mind what it is that you want to do. You'll find a campground, RV Resort, Park, or State Forest that will fulfill what you are looking for!

- Check Dog and Trailer and don't be afraid to post and ask about a place. You may find fellow D&T'ers that know all about it!

Material/equipment needs:

This subject has come up several times on several different sites including Outbackers. What are the essentials? You may quickly get into the arena of preferences but there are some recognized “Must haves”. The below is a combination of recommendations from Outbackers and some of my own "necessities".

1. A “good” tool kit. Sockets, screwdrivers, Rubber Mallet (for chocks) battery operated screwdriver/drill.
2. Fuses: Look at your inverter panel and see what amperage fuses are installed and hit the Auto parts store for spares. You don’t know when or if you’ll need them
3. At least 1 pack of Lynx Levelers or a like product. Aids in leveling front to back, side to side should you encounter a less than level site.
4. Camper mounted Levels 1 for the nose one for the side to check level when setting up
5. BAL chocks for between your wheels. Stops forward and backward rocking when set up. We had used almost exclusively regular chocks but with this new big toy, (Our 325FRE) Tina and I have bought one to see how it does. We loved it! The chock works absolutely wonderful! I highly recommend it.
6. Wheel Chocks.
7. Set of 2 way radios or cell phones to communicate while backing into sites and maneuvering***
8. Drill for scissor jack stabilizers: With an extension and the proper socket, this makes dropping manual jacks easy and effortless.
9. Good quality Black Tank treatment such as Thetford, liquid, crystal or drop ins. These are essential in helping to keep black tank contents fluid and broken down.
10. Second battery. Here you are faced with the decision: two 12v ones, or two 6 volt ones. The answer depends on how much dry camping you plan to do. There is scads of info and much discussion on Outbackers about the relative + and - of 6 volt vs. 12 volt. If you do little or no “Dry” camping your 12 volt battery will probably be enough.
11. Captain Morgan's spiced rum, a heavy duty blender, ice, Pina Coloada Mix, Rum, daqiuri mix, Pepsi, Rum, Kahluha, Cream, and Rum.
12. Electrical surge protector. Either installed inside the TT (the permanent type) or a plug-in unit that goes between your TT power cord and the campground power post. Most protect your TT against floating neutrals, or bad wiring in the campground post. One member found 220v in the 30 amp "120 v" socket. The surge protector kicked out when he plugged in and saved a lot of delicate stuff (like $1000 worth of power inverter, stereo, reefer, etc.)
13. Water pressure reducer to protect the TT plumbing; it wants 50-60 psi max water pressure. Protect the TT from that campground that has 120 pound pressure.
14. Good quality Sun Glasses. Nothing is more irritating than in the fifth hour of reclining to have the sun move through the heavens to be blaring into your eyeballs through your eyelids. Prepare properly for the 7 hours your going to be in your Lafuma!!
15. In-line water filter for campground water. Some Campgrounds (like the ones in the mountains) have awesome fresh water.
16. White potable water hose for drinking. (Don’t use regular garden hose. It has a number of chemicals that are easy tasted from it and not that good for you.)
17. Buy a fresh water tank cleaner available at Wal-Mart to sanitize the fresh water tank. Follow the directions on the container. After using this you can fill your fresh water tank with water from home. Remember a gallon of water weighs about 8.13 pounds. If you fill your tank at 40, 60, 80 gallons…well do the math. It’s a lot of weight.

*** One of the things I highly recommend that you do, if you will have your wife helping you back in to sites and I am sure you will, is to practice. No matter how well you communicate she will have (or who ever is helping you) a completely different perspective and it can make the whole operation frustrating even for the most tolerant people. Tina has gotten really good at this and the hardest part is sometimes trying to ignore what you see and simply put blind trust into the person backing you. Go to a Park and Ride or large parking lot. Using the parking spot lines as simulated camp sites you can practice setting your rig to back properly on your target, backing in from 90 degrees, odd angles, pulling through, setting up mock obstacles and such. It is also pretty level. If you do not have levels set up, this is a good place to do it. The use of cones and such also help. I HIGHLY recommend you do this.

RV Accessories: A pick and choose list of items.

Electrical 30 Amp extension cord
extra fuses 15, 20 amp
25' medium duty outdoor extension cord
Grey Goose Vodka

Plumbing 20' sewer line (good quality)
45 degree fitting
Variable size sewer connection fitting
Captain Morgans Spiced Rum
20' Fresh water hose, or 2 -10'ers
"Y" connector for hose bib
Water hose pressure regulator
Water filter
Rubber gloves (disposable or chemical resistant)
Sam Adams Summer Lager... Just Sayin..
Tank disinfectant
Hose nozzle
"J" connector (hose to city water connection)

Emergency Equip.
Jack for trailer (hydraulic bottle type or scissor jack)
lug wrench with fitting that fits your lug nuts
Arizona Iced Tea
torque wrench
small tool kit (pliers, Phillips, flat and #2 square drivers, adjustable wrench, etc.)
Teflon plumbers tape
Caulk
Tube of Dicor for rubber roof repair and caulk gun (as req'd)
50' nylon rope
Road flares or emergency roadside markers
Russian Mountain Dew. Take one swallow of cold Mountain Dew from the can, replace with the appropriate quantity of Vodka, enjoy, repeat.
Rain poncho or rain suit
12v air pump
Flashlights
Duct tape
Tarp

Cooking
Plates, bowls, glasses, cups
flatware and cooking utensils
pans and skillets
serving/carrying tray
BBQ grill, with propane or briquette’s as required
BBQ utensils and lighter
a good knife
cutting board
plastic bags, Reynolds wrap, plastic wrap
coffee maker with filters
toaster
mixer
blender Don't skimp..this baby's going to get a work out!
griddle
dish towels
oven mitt

Sleeping
Sheets
Blankets
Pillows
Bathing
Towels
soap, shampoo, conditioner
Tooth brushes and paste
Shaving gear
hairdryer
Everyone should have their own separate travel kit
toilet paper (RV type)

Clothing
set of sweats for everyone (just in case)
rubber sandals or slip on tennis shoes

Medical First aid kit with normal items
Aspirin or Tylenol
upset stomach medicine
meat tenderizer (for stings)
sunscreen
Tina’s grocery check off list
If it isn’t on that list you probably don’t need it.

Other (Inside)
Throw rugs
trash can liner bags
paper towels and napkins
paper plates, plastic flatware, etc.
Air freshener
Games, videos, deck of cards, etc. (for when it rains)
Cleaning supplies
Dish soap
Tablet and pen/pencils ( for keeping list of things to remember next time)
Broom
Plastic container for misc. Items. Scissors, small can of WD-40, cord, Velcro, pins, etc.)
Plastic bucket
toilet brush
Fly swatter
Sponges
DVD player and some movies
Outside radio
Matches or stick lighter

Other (Outside)
Outdoor carpeting to cover under awning area
Awning de-flappers and tie downs
Lawn chairs (Lafuma……just sayin’)
Small folding end table
Folding table for cooking counter space outside
Plastic table cloths and table cloth clamps
Cooler for beverages outside
Small step (7") for ingress/egress
Squeegee for slide out roof cleaning on a handle
Small step ladder.

Okay… I have down loaded about 50% of my acquired knowledge of RV stuff to you. (I have beach front property in Arizona I can sell you, too).

Your still here?!

Go CAMPERING! (You can't call this stuff camping!)

Eric
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 11:26:14 am by egregg57 »
TV: 2013 Ford F-350 6.7L CC Powerstroke Diesel, Ultimate/Chrome package RV: 2015 Montana 3750FL

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
Re: So! You bought a new RV! Now what do you do!?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:14 pm »
Awesome Eric. Still love reading it and it is some great info.

You da MAN!!!!

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline CW3Jason

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:57:57 am »
I think this is one ofthe first post I read on the other site. Excellent post Eric, thanks for all the great info

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »
Did someone say:

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline TexanThompsons

• I have to rise, it's my choice to shine
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:05 am »
Great list!  Makes me want to go camping right now.  There are tons of preferences for camping, but you captured the biggies, except for the rotary valve doomaphlochy.  Won't get phar without one...sorry, couldn't resist.

Oh, and why no mention of good ol' southern Bourbon?  Hatin' on us?!
2017 Columbus Compass Series 377MBC
2015 RAM 3500 SRW

Offline egregg57

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:38 am »
Did someone say:

Willingtonpaul: THAT is a terrible Tease! And Texan: I hear that loud and clear! I did not want to gettin' all high falutin' with special liqours...the average camper may not know how to handle such top shelf stuff just starting out, and could scare'em off!
TV: 2013 Ford F-350 6.7L CC Powerstroke Diesel, Ultimate/Chrome package RV: 2015 Montana 3750FL

Offline TexanThompsons

• I have to rise, it's my choice to shine
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 01:08:34 pm »
Let me take care of the good stuff..you guys make a rally a little closer down south, I might have to bring you guys some good stuff.
2017 Columbus Compass Series 377MBC
2015 RAM 3500 SRW

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:07:30 pm »
Willingtonpaul: THAT is a terrible tease

Just a little love from the Boston RV show....

I figured that picture would come in handy at some point....

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline New England Camper

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 07:54:34 pm »
Great post. :)

I am going to have to go over your list and see what things we should carry with us in the camper.

I definitely agree on reading the campground recommendations. We try to read all the reviews we can if we are going to a campground we've never been to. For now we continue to keep going back to our favorites (Danforth Bay)
Thia

Offline BrandonMH

• What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 09:07:35 am »
I do remember reading this on the other site.  I do have most of this stuff already.  I do want to get a good jack for it yet.  Good info, I was actually trying to remember where I saw what others used for a tool kit.  I pulled out an old un-used for years three drawer tool box from the shed to load up.  Oh, you forgot the zombie repelant!

Offline egregg57

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 06:20:39 pm »
I do remember reading this on the other site.  I do have most of this stuff already.  I do want to get a good jack for it yet.  Good info, I was actually trying to remember where I saw what others used for a tool kit.  I pulled out an old un-used for years three drawer tool box from the shed to load up.  Oh, you forgot the zombie repelant!

Eeehh! The original was pre-zombie apocalypse and you stopped them short... a minor oversight!

Offline BrandonMH

• What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 07:06:36 pm »
There still could be some lurking around, but they should be few...just carry a bat/hammer/hatchet or something like that to take on the odd one and should be good.  Unless in a park where they allow other weapons, then you can nail them from a distance.  They might be lured in by the smell of cooking mammal flesh tho...lol.  I was just playing the warz mmo and a friend and I managed to elude other players that will get you faster than the zombies found some nice guns and made it back to the safe zone...lucky lucky we were.

Offline jevanb

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 11:24:06 am »

get ready to buy another TV because the RV is going to be too small in a few years and you will need another (larger) also get ready to be broke lol
2006 silverado CC 4x LBZ
SPD twins

Offline CW3Jason

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:57:46 pm »

get ready to buy another TV because the RV is going to be too small in a few years and you will need another (larger) also get ready to be broke lol

Its like your in my head. LOL

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch

Offline clarkely

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 02:24:13 pm »
Its like your in my head. LOL

:poke: :poke:
Looking at a GM :) couldn't help myself :)
 :poke: :poke:
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers