Author Topic: Which tablet should we buy  (Read 6153 times)

Offline transamz9

Which tablet should we buy
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:22:55 am »
The DW is wanting to get a tablet to take with us and when it comes to computers we are both ignorant. We are wanting to stay in the $3-400 dollar range. We would use it mainly for searching the web for things like directions, games,making reservations and stuff. Oh yeah and getting on my favorite boards too. What would you recommend and why.

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
Re: Which tablet should we buy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:08 am »
I'm a fan of the latest Samsung tablets.  The 7 in is around $200, and the 10 in is in your price range.
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

jevanb

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 12:05:10 pm »
Me the wife and the kids all have Kindall fires. They have been great but need wifi

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
Re: Re: Which tablet should we buy
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:11:04 pm »
Me the wife and the kids all have Kindall fires. They have been great but need wifi
There are apps for smartphones that create a hotspot without paying your network provider.  I use Foxfi.  Works great for getting tablets on the internet remotely.

Offline transamz9

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 12:11:13 pm »
So really the I-Pad is not what it's cracked up to be? She was looking at the Kindle Fire but like I said we don't really know what we are looking at when it comes to this type of thing.

Offline transamz9

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 12:13:11 pm »
There are apps for smartphones that create a hotspot without paying your network provider.  I use Foxfi.  Works great for getting tablets on the internet remotely.

And this doesn't charge usage to the phone? My wife has an I-Phone, is this something that she can do with her phone?

Offline clarkely

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:33:57 pm »
we have the Ipad 3 and the and the samnsung tab 2 - 199.00

I am not an Apple slave to their systems and like the Tablet - it is my sons - we had to talk him out of a mini ........

but he can add a 32g card and has a 40gig tablet for 230.00 bucks.......

Newer droid phones will not allow free wifi hot spot with out rooting/jailbreaking them....

Keeping this in mind ....some carriers only charge 5.00 a month to make it a mobile hot spot - thats the way i went on our galaxy s 3's - only paid for it on one phone .....

I phone 4 and 5 should both have ability to be a wifi hot spot for other devices.....

I am a fan of our Samsung Tablet - end of day if you only ever use one you will be happy with that one as either are more than capable - (much like our trucks lol) and both have plusses and minusses ........

I personally lean towards the samasung galaxy product - My techy friends like the kindle and then Jailbreak it .....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:23:13 pm by clarkely »
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline TexanThompsons

• I have to rise, it's my choice to shine
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:58 pm »
We have a kindle fire, original kindle, ipad 2, and an ipad 3.  I want a surface...here what I would tell you...

The kindle is great for reading...and that's about it...it is too small to render a good on-screen keyboard, but if you're OK taking a bluetooth keyboard with you, then enjoy it...can't connect to internet unless you have wifi

Ipads are great for surfing and playing silly games.  the apps are almost infinite and its large enough to render a keyboard onscreen and still be able to actually type on it.  You can get cell service on it and make it usable anywhere

As for the surface, since its Microsoft's OS and can load Microsoft's office suite, its perfec to use for surfing as on a tablet, or use for work as needed when you have to.

Regardless, you'll enjoy almost any tablet you get, just go in eyes wide open about what you want out of a tablet.  If you have further questions, feel free to IM me.
2017 Columbus Compass Series 377MBC
2015 RAM 3500 SRW

H2oSprayer

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:32 pm »
I went through this same quandary back in December when I was looking for a tablet for my wife.  I was looking for a tablet that while on the road, the DW was able to do things such as look up directions, nearby campgrounds, fuel and restaurant locations.  I was looking at higher end tablets such as the iPad.  As with Nathan, I use FoxFi on my phone to access my unlimited data plan while on the road and therefore only wanted a WiFi tablet and not a WiFi/cellular tablet.  Apple's GPS is built into the cellular card and if you purchase an iPad without cellular ability, you don't get a GPS.  I found the Asus Transformer FT700T with a price tag in the $450's for the 64GB version and decided to get her that.  The DW is not the most technically advanced person and as it used the Android operating system, which her phone is, I figured it would be the easiest for her to figure out.  It has a 10.1" touch screen, which will be great for viewing movies and it has the build in GPS for real time mapping.  She has full access to her Kindle library and uses many of the same apps that she has on her phone, such as Gassbuddy and AllStays. 

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 04:09:48 pm »

much like our trucks lol... both have pusses ........

Was that a freudian slip...

:rotfl:

From Wikipedia;
A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ("dynamically repressed") subdued wish, conflict, or train of thought guided by the super-ego and the rules of correct behaviour.

;)
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline clarkely

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:24:17 pm »
Was that a freudian slip...

:rotfl:

From Wikipedia;
A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ("dynamically repressed") subdued wish, conflict, or train of thought guided by the super-ego and the rules of correct behaviour.

;)

LMAO !!

Plusses!!!

Mind wandering - not thinking clearly as it is valentines day.................Thinking about chocolate and sweets........ as i gave them up for lent :)
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:57 pm »
we have the Ipad 3 and the and the samnsung tab 2 - 199.00

I am not an Apple slave to their systems and like the Tablet - it is my sons - we had to talk him out of a mini ........

but he can add a 32g card and has a 40gig tablet for 230.00 bucks......

I phone 4 and 5 should both have ability to be a wifi hot spot for other devices.....

I am a fan of our Samsung Tablet - end of day if you only ever use one you will be happy with that one as either are more than capable - (much like our trucks lol) and both have plusses and minusses ........
Both our kids have the Tab 2 7".  They have 32gb memory cards full of their favorite movies.

My issue with the Apple products is price.  I can get a product with equivalent performance, much more expandability and lower cost.  All I have to give up is the white case (not a fan off that anyway), and the use of the letter 'i'.  :D

Offline chilipyro

• Camping and Mod Photos
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 05:45:55 pm »
I like the ipads for the wealth of apps and the ease of use. Refurbished (from Apple) is as good as new and has the same warranty as new, and saves you a bunch of $. A refurbished Ipad 2 (my favorite of the versions) is $399 for the 3G/16gb. That is a pretty good deal for a device you can (but don't have to) have connected to the internet wherever you go. Here is a link to that one at the Apple store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC985LL/A/refurbished-ipad-2-with-wi-fi-3g.

Best thing to do is go to a store that sells the tabs you are thinking of and try them out.
2009 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2012 F350 King Ranch 4x4 Dually Longbed 6.7L Turbo Diesel (5990lbs payload - yeah baby!!),
Reese Dual Cam Hitch, Honda 2000 gens x2
Me, DW, DS (14), DS (12), DD (10), and our two little dogs

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 07:20:55 pm »
The DW is wanting to get a tablet to take with us and when it comes to computers we are both ignorant. We are wanting to stay in the $3-400 dollar range. We would use it mainly for searching the web for things like directions, games,making reservations and stuff. Oh yeah and getting on my favorite boards too. What would you recommend and why.
Sounds like the apps you'll be doing, will be, while mobile and needing access to the internet. I recommend whatever you get is 4G capable; 4G is much faster than 3G. Also if you do teather to it using foxfi you'll agonize over the slow speed of 3G. I have no experience with apple products, but from what I have heard, Apple charges a bunch of money for apps where android apps are free or cost very little. The Samsung galaxy note II is a quad core processor, and just like "theres no replacement for displacement" the more cores you have in a device, the faster it's going to run; couple that with a minimum system ram of 2Gig and you're device will scream.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Note-II-Titanium-Wireless/dp/B00AB7FVCY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1360888041&sr=8-5&keywords=quad+core+4G+tablet
Here a real nice one;
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TF300TL-B1-BL-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Blue/dp/B009CQPZ4O/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1360888427&sr=1-15&keywords=quad+core+4G+tablet

Also from what research I've done, Apple products come with built-in RAM for apps/and media that cannot removed or upgraded. Android devices are mostly user accesable media RAM that can be removed from one device and inserted into a new device when you do upgrade, and here's the clincher; you can backup your contacts/calenders etc to the SD card and import it all into your future new device. Apple can backup to a cloud drive and be restored to your future new device, but I heard nightmare stories of how everthing was lost in that endevor; appernetly they have yet to perfect that technology. As of late, from personal experience, I know that you can no longer move your apps from the built in RAM, on Android 4.0 or later devices, to the SD card;  only Media and backup info can be stored on the SD card. Forums say that the reason for this was the slow access time to a SD card making the apps run poorly if stored there. So if you do get an anadroid tablet/cell get one with at least 16gig of internal memory.
I hope all this makes sense and is helpful.   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:36:02 pm by Happy Camper »
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:12:45 pm »
of course if you're running foxfi on a 4g smartphone, you'll be happy with the performance.