Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 2952 times)

Offline egregg57

Windows 8
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
Is a piece of junk.

I am so ripped right now from trying to establish a network connection with that operating system I could spit....

Petuey!

Just ssyin...

TV: 2013 Ford F-350 6.7L CC Powerstroke Diesel, Ultimate/Chrome package RV: 2015 Montana 3750FL

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:35:01 am »
I only have it on one of several machines right now and the verdict is still out.  I will be updating my main computer in a few weeks, that will be the real test...
2005 F150 Supercrew 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Turbo Diesel & 2011 Outback 260FL

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:47:45 am »
I'm ok with it.  What's the issue with the network connection?
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline egregg57

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:10:30 pm »
 Apparently there is a firewall preventing the use of my Linksys for internet access. I can barely navigate anywhere in the laptop to try to find the problem. I do not care for this OS!!
TV: 2013 Ford F-350 6.7L CC Powerstroke Diesel, Ultimate/Chrome package RV: 2015 Montana 3750FL

Offline clarkely

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:41:24 pm »
I hope I don't feel your pain :) I have a new machine to replace our old one... And it is 8......waitng in a new Seagate central home network back up to arrive.... To back up current pc into a new back up system..... Before making the switch....

Eric.... Make sure you figure it all out.... So mine foes seamless ;)
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline egregg57

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »
Tina Bought it. I tried to help her with it because she was pulling her hair out over it. (not for real, but close) Seems it had the same effect on me although I have no hair to pull out, so I was gnashing my teeth at it...

I have been working 12 hour days so the last thing I needed was the frustration of messing with that during the last 2 hours I had before needing to go to bed. But I wanted to help her get going with it.

She warned me too. She warned me about getting into it with so little time left in my evening. But I R Tech. How hard could this "easier" "better" OS be?

My problem is that I don't like to lose and I don't like something kicking my butt. James T. Kirk syndrome...

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:10:16 pm »
Tina Bought it. I tried to help her with it because she was pulling her hair out over it. (not for real, but close) Seems it had the same effect on me although I have no hair to pull out, so I was gnashing my teeth at it...

I have been working 12 hour days so the last thing I needed was the frustration of messing with that during the last 2 hours I had before needing to go to bed. But I wanted to help her get going with it.

She warned me too. She warned me about getting into it with so little time left in my evening. But I R Tech. How hard could this "easier" "better" OS be?

My problem is that I don't like to lose and I don't like something kicking my butt. James T. Kirk syndrome...

Microsoft (as well as Apple and Google) likes to give it's Os's a nick name..
Maybe we outta call Windows 8....

.....Kobayashi Maru:

A no-win situation caused by a set of rules that can only be won by changing the rules, in effect, cheating. This term comes from the name of a small ship in distress in a scenario shown in a Star Trek movie
A no-win situation or scenario, in which every action is effectively countered by a force either seen or unseen.

each new release of these different OS's has more and more security features to prevent data theft, to the point that the OS's is very user unfriendly...
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline egregg57

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:58 pm »
Okay, I got the answer and everything is working properly. Still hate the OS... But never-the-less. The Acer Laptop that she bought came with McAfee Virus Protection Software. I have a Norton subscription for the three laptops we have. I installed Norton, which uninstalls McAfee.

When I did this, I did not have the product key handy and the Norton Ant-Virus defaulted to the 30 day trial. Apparently on a good number of these lap tops, the 30 Day Norton trial does not play well with fire wall settings, goes to "Shields Up" and nothing gets in or out.

So it is working. Once I have a free moment I will reinstall Norton, enter the product key to activate the virus definitions I had set previously and there should not be a problem.

We'll see. We'll see.....

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:29:58 pm »
Okay, I got the answer and everything is working properly. Still hate the OS... But never-the-less. The Acer Laptop that she bought came with McAfee Virus Protection Software. I have a Norton subscription for the three laptops we have. I installed Norton, which uninstalls McAfee.

When I did this, I did not have the product key handy and the Norton Ant-Virus defaulted to the 30 day trial. Apparently on a good number of these lap tops, the 30 Day Norton trial does not play well with fire wall settings, goes to "Shields Up" and nothing gets in or out.

So it is working. Once I have a free moment I will reinstall Norton, enter the product key to activate the virus definitions I had set previously and there should not be a problem.

We'll see. We'll see.....

eric
are you on comcast internet ?
eric
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline egregg57

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 04:23:03 pm »
eric
are you on comcast internet ?
eric

Eric

Yes

Eric

Offline CW3Jason

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 04:23:54 pm »
Eric,
Try this. I used it on my stepfathers machine and it saved my butt. I also hate windows 8. this will make it look and feel like the old windows you are used to.

http://www.windows8startbutton.com/

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
Re: Re: Windows 8
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:16 pm »
Eric,
Try this. I used it on my stepfathers machine and it saved my butt. I also hate windows 8. this will make it look and feel like the old windows you are used to.

http://www.windows8startbutton.com/
Yes, this program can make win 8 work just like win 7.  Perfect for any computer and nearly essential for non touch screen machines.
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 09:19:05 pm »
Eric

Yes

Eric
eric
Norton from the box has a limited number of PCs you can install it on..  however if you are on comcast/xfinity you can get it free..unlimited..while you're on their network; if you download it and install it from their site it will configure itself to work on their network, firewalls and all..

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/?cid=NET_33_6011

eric