Author Topic: Boat and RV Supercenter- Hamburg PA Review  (Read 11229 times)

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
Boat and RV Supercenter- Hamburg PA Review
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:02:57 pm »
So by this time of year, you should begin to get the spring itch. We just had a couple nice days strung together here in the Northeast, with temperatures reaching 70 degrees. It made me yearn for being outdoors. Instead, I was stuck in my concrete block office building in Southeastern PA getting cooked by the fluorescent lights.  Then reality struck back. The next couple of days were going to be cold, rainy, and miserable. Not really good outdoors days. What should we do to melt away the winter blahs?

Dog and Trailer just attended their first RV Expo in January. No one knew who we were then. Just a couple of guys walking around an expo hall filled with RVs! We weren’t there on official business, although we did write up an article to post to our website. We went over some of the models we saw, what we liked about the show, and used it to generally kick off some conversation within the website in the hopes we could get some more members to swing by.

We decided to do it again! This time, we weren’t going to an expo hall. Instead, we set our sights on the holiest of holy lands… CABELAS! Actually, it wasnt Cabelas, but that made the trip even more worth it. Instead, we checked out Boat and RV Supercenter in Hamburg, PA. it is located right across the street from Cabelas and since we were in the neighborhood, we just had to stop by, right? Not to mention,  Boat and RV Superscenter should have been a quick hour drive from Bucks County, PA. However, yours truly missed the exit off the northeast extension of route 476 and had to back track through some very small towns in the Pocono Mountains. We will save that story for another time…

Back at Boat and RV Superstore, we pulled up to a massive indoor show room and service facility that had 6 or 7 full size service bays. You are greeted at the front door by a receptionist who asks for your contact information and if you are there to look at boats or RVs. Lets just say, the entrance to the place was quite impressive.

The entrance of the store. Yes, those are boats floating in water!

The Receptionist allowed us to carry on and explore the store at our own pace.  We went right to the service department/parts department to check out what kind of cool accessories they had. Ace and I both picked up an adapter bit for our leveling jacks. The bit allowed us to use our cordless drills to run the jacks up and down. They didn’t have them in stock while we were there, but ordered them and shipped them free of charge to our houses within a couple days as promised. Shipping was free and the customer service so far was excellent!

The service department was stocked with RV parts and Accessories.

And then around the corner there was even more!

Ace had a chance to look at some of the prices on the products that they had and on the whole, they were a couple dollars higher on each item compared to what you could get the item for at Camping World. However, factor in the cost of shipping, then maybe the prices were comparable. Either way, if you were in the area, you could easily stop into this dealership and not feel like you were paying over the actual cost for the item you were getting. Seeing that their pricing was pretty decent, we continued on our trek through the store.

As you walk past the “pond” with the boats in it, you have to walk past their sales office. There were a couple employees hanging around and all smiled and said hello. They didn’t follow us out onto the sales floor, but one sales rep approached us, handed us his card, and explained that if we needed any help, that he could assist. With that, we were given free range, without true adult supervision except for that of our spouses, to roam the indoor showroom all by ourselves!

The first trailer we noticed was a toy hauler called the XLR made by Forrest River. What caught our eye was the use of the trailer tongue area and how it wasn’t wasted for just a battery box. None of us really cared for the “man cave” styling of the inside of the toy hauler, but were impressed at how much room there was inside a bumper pull trailer that was mainly a garage for ATV or Dirtbikes.

The front of the XLR… notice there is not real trailer tongue area.

Here is the inside of the XLR. The left hand slide was in, but you can see how the kitchen fits in the front.

I think one of the things that we have noticed with both our trips to RV shows and dealers, is that RV manufacturers are starting to get more clever with their storage solutions. The XLR was great because it gave you much more livable space compared to that being wasted by a propane bottle. Another example we found was on a trailer called Komfort 3230 by Dutchmen RVs. They had a very clever method of concealing extra storage below the seat cushions with fold out sections that were integral to the seat. Here is an example of the seat closed and then open, showing where the storage is.

Maybe you aren’t in the market for storage a ton of stuff on your camper, but you need space for the kids! We found two trailers that had massive bunk rooms but still offered plenty of living space. The first one we looked at and really liked was the Aerolite 318BHSS also by Dutchmen. For an unloaded weight of less than 7500 lbs, making it towable by many ½ ton pickup trucks today, look at the floor plan.

Massive floor plan is laid out for bunks in the back for kids and a quiet bed area for Mom and Dad upfront.

Here is the inside of the Aerolite. Notice the window in the wall to the right for access into the bunk area. Really cool place for kids to hang out.

Another trailer that we found with a lot of room on the inside was the Wildwood Heritage Glen 316TBRD. For all of you fifth wheel fans out there, this trailer was made for families. It featured a huge 4 bunk room in the back of the trailer.

The Bunkhouse of the Heritage Glen.

The Heritage Glen also featured an outdoor kitchen, and an elevated master sutie over the hitch with a full queen size bed and washer/dryer hook ups for the longer trips.

Master Suite of the Heritage Glen.

The last trailer that was saw and really really liked, was made by the Outback Company. The trailer was model number 321FRL and was a 5th Wheeler with an awesome interior living space.

The interior of the Outback.

The trailer was bright on the inside and offered a ton of space for an RVer to spread out and relax. The open floor plan and dual recliners also made it feel more like being in a home and you quickly forgot that you were sitting in a trailer.

There were plenty of other trailers, RVs, and 5th Wheelers there to look at, but as I said, it was a lousy day outside and we didn’t feel like walking the remaining couple of acres of outside. Our experience with Boat and RV Supercenter was very positive. Our interactions with all employees were very nice and we liked that we could talk to everyone there and not feel like we were getting a sales pitch.

I got to say, that after this trip, the four of us all had the spring camping itch. I don’t know if we helped ourselves out by going up to look at new camping gear or if we made it worse because we still cant get outside yet. Well, that’s not entirely true. The next day, I found myself shoveling the rest of the snow away from the camper and off the roof at our storage place. Although, the sun was shining and and I was half tempted to roll out the awning and crack open a beer! Until the weather breaks, I guess we can always daydream!

2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline clarkely

Re: Boat and RV Supercenter- Hamburg PA Review
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:06 pm »
Next tine tou are up there ....travel down 61 to Tom Shaeffers rv and say hello to Huntr70 :
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline Lad79der

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:20 pm »
We should! We would be more than happy to check em out!

2011 Outback 277RL

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:36:00 pm »
Next tine tou are up there ....travel down 61 to Tom Shaeffers rv and say hello to Huntr70 :

Ditto  :agree: I do believe they are one of the larger centers in the area and they are not a chain like Boat n RV. Family owned and you would get to see Huntr70 in action. Who could pass that up.

This is a great right up by the way. I have been there before and you definately hit the high spots and more.

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline Lad79der

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:42:00 pm »
Thanks Jim!

We are going to try and feature a new article every month or two... it will keep the site fresh. Since it is cold out, we cant get out much to camp or work on our trailers, so doing some inside trips were the next best thing.

I am going to feature a couple install articles coming up as I prepare my truck for hauling the camper this summer... Hopefully we can stimulate some good conversations.

PS- as a side note, Dog and Trailer is not endorsing this dealer by any means... They got a good review from us because they had good service, but we didnt receive anything from them nor did they even know we were there with the intentions of writing something up... this was purely a hey, lets go look at some trailers, kinda thing...

2011 Outback 277RL

Offline huntr70

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 06:23:39 am »
Boat N Rv looks nice on the "facade", but buyers beware........I'll leave it at that.

http://www.tomschaeffers.com/

Here's your formal invitation to our Open House/ 56th Anniversary Bash this year.....

Will be held April 7th thru 10th (yes, I know it is Lake in Wood weekend, so I will be coming and going all weekend)

All 283+ units will be open for touring, weather permitting. Special Open House pricing, as well as plenty of parts and accesories specials.

Come up and roam the lot and see what is out there.....

Steve
Steve and Vicki, 2 kids
2013 Columbus 320RS 5W
2011 RAM 3500 Crew cab, SRW, longbed, Sportsman Edition, 6.7 Cummins

Offline mikekrishanpa

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:51:48 am »
Clarke and Jim beat me to it........I was just going to mention Tom Schaeffer's and Steve.  I bought my Outback at TS's RV and couldn't be happier with the service.  (Pre huntr70 employment)

Boat and RV has a very nice showroom but I have heard Good and bad from buyers.  Which you could probably say about just about every RV center.  The accessory shop at Tom Shaeffer's is actually bigger and has more supplies available.  Steve can correct me if I am wrong, but I think TS's just went thru a big renovation of their facilities.  I haven't stopped in for a while, but I heard they had some construction going on.

Bottom line is........I am partial to TS's RV center because they have taken good care of me and my family (doesn't hurt that a camping buddy works there) so i highly recommend checking it out the next time you travel to the Hamburg area.
Mike, Kristi, Hannah (13)
Trailer:   2008 Keystone Outback 25RSS
TV:   Dodge RAM 1500

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:59:42 am »
Matt, excellent write up...next time I need to bring my good camera and not use the camera on my phone.

Wish I would have known about huntr70 and Tom Shaeffers when I was trailer shopping last fall, I'll keep them in mind when we upgrade in a few years!  ;D
2005 F150 Supercrew 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Turbo Diesel & 2011 Outback 260FL

Offline clarkely

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 09:07:01 am »
Boat N Rv looks nice on the "facade", but buyers beware........I'll leave it at that.

http://www.tomschaeffers.com/

Here's your formal invitation to our Open House/ 56th Anniversary Bash this year.....

Will be held April 7th thru 10th (yes, I know it is Lake in Wood weekend, so I will be coming and going all weekend)

All 283+ units will be open for touring, weather permitting. Special Open House pricing, as well as plenty of parts and accesories specials.

Come up and roam the lot and see what is out there.....

Steve

Will you be offering a shuttle service for us?

Offline Lad79der

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 09:19:41 am »
Shoot me the particulars of the event... you can PM them to me if you like.

Id like to come up and check out the shop! We can make Tom Shaffers the next stop on the Dog and Trailer article forum!

That weekend is pretty busy for me, I have a bachelor party on the 8th and a Fire Company banquet on the 9th... I do think I could come up Saturday morning, provided I dont get too into the bachelor party the night before!

Lemme know if we can work that out!

Matt
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline huntr70

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
Will you be offering a shuttle service for us?

Sure, anyone that fits in my crew cab at 7:30 AM is more than welcome to come along to work with me......
Steve and Vicki, 2 kids
2013 Columbus 320RS 5W
2011 RAM 3500 Crew cab, SRW, longbed, Sportsman Edition, 6.7 Cummins

Offline clarkely

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 07:43:42 pm »
will we be back in time for happy hour :)

Offline clarkely

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:14 pm »
which would be at  :pint: thirty :)

Offline swanny

• Global Moderator
    • Our Travels and Things
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:04:07 pm »
We also had a good experience at Schaeffers. When we bought our Outback (used private sale and out of warranty by a couple months) they covered a window replacement under warranty. They installed my hitch and did a great job.
They even shuttled my wife and I to Cabela's while they did the work, and called us when the work was done for the ride back.

2012 Montana 3625RE   07 Gmc 2500 Dmax / Allison
04 Skeeter Fish and Ski w/ 150hp Yamaha
DW Kathy  Goldens, Kobe (RIP) Yogi & Emma
http://OURTRAVELSANDTHINGS.shutterfly.com/

Offline PA Outbackers

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »
Would that be "take your fellow camper to work day"

2014 Outback 323BH Diamond Edition Teak Interior
2017 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.6L DURAMAX CCSB LTZ Z71
 8)