Author Topic: July 22-28. Suggestions/Recomendations  (Read 4428 times)

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
July 22-28. Suggestions/Recomendations
« on: July 03, 2013, 10:51:33 pm »
Hey gang,

I am off and we are looking for recommendations for July 22-28. Was considering Raystown with Wiggle Wagons, but they are booked and have nothing that I would fit in.

Is anybody going out that week? We are looking for something less than 4 hours away.

Was also looking into the northern edge of the Shenandoah Valley, which would be right at the 4 hour limit.

Ok gang lets have it?

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline clarkely

Re: July 22-28. Suggestions/Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:16:04 am »
Jellystone Akron,  OH

Cool little campground and you can join us for the soap box derby championship..... It will wet the boys whistle for it..... Little longer drive...  But it's worth it...

I would do that.... Or Shenandoah or west Virginia..... Or look at Ohiopyle or something along the yougeghany..... All cool places...
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline DHDB

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:30:15 am »
We are looking for something less than 4 hours away.

Well,I guess that rules out Kokatosi CG on Cresent Lake in Maine!  Stop by if you're in the area. :thinking:
"D"an, "H"olly, "D"aniel-16, “B"rian-15, and Gunnar-2 (NAID), Tehya-6mo (NAID)
2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab "Big Horn", 8' Fisher HD Plow
2010 Outback 301BQ (arrived April 2010) Slide Toppers, Power Tongue Jack, Bal-x-Choks, electric fireplace, and
many mods completed
Equal-i-zer Hitch, Prodigy P-3 Brake Contoller, Garmin Nuvi 255W, Boliy Pro3600SiE Gen.

Parked

Offline Draggin Wiggle Wagons

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:00:06 am »
Hey gang,

I am off and we are looking for recommendations for July 22-28. Was considering Raystown with Wiggle Wagons, but they are booked and have nothing that I would fit in.

Is anybody going out that week? We are looking for something less than 4 hours away.

Was also looking into the northern edge of the Shenandoah Valley, which would be right at the 4 hour limit.

Ok gang lets have it?

Jim

I have a tent you can use. Just sayin!  ;D

(You shouldnt bought such a big azz camper!)

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 08:47:15 am »
I have a tent you can use. Just sayin!  ;D

(You shouldnt bought such a big azz camper!)

:rotfl:

He does have a "tent" !!!!  Brings me back to the Charlie Brown mystery !  And me driving into the campground to the sight of a better version of my last truck with "joonbee" plates .....

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:48:50 am by Willingtonpaul »
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:02 am »
Jellystone Akron,  OH

Cool little campground and you can join us for the soap box derby championship..... It will wet the boys whistle for it..... Little longer drive...  But it's worth it...

I would do that.... Or Shenandoah or west Virginia..... Or look at Ohiopyle or something along the yougeghany..... All cool places...

I knew that invite was coming.  8)

Tryin to make it a little trip that will go unnoticed in the checking account, which is why we are trying to limit the travel. Although camping with you guys is always tempting and we have never seen a soapbox derby.

Ohiopyle area looks kinda cool and what we are looking for, which is relaxing, hiking and some biking. I say some biking cause boys are in those in between years where they are not to keen on being passengers and are just learning to do a little on their own.

Well,I guess that rules out Kokatosi CG on Cresent Lake in Maine!  Stop by if you're in the area. :thinking:

Yes it does unfortunately. We are really missing ME this year too.

:rotfl:

He does have a "tent" !!!!  Brings me back to the Charlie Brown mystery !  And me driving into the campground to the sight of a better version of my last truck with "joonbee" plates .....

Well that was funny for sure. But I have been a bit absent here as of late, some may have noticed. That "better version of your last truck" went from a GREAT deal to a GOOD deal. On the way home from CB it puked coolant. Yes it has studs in it and yes it did not show any of signs of failure, but after we pulled them and sent them out. It was evident they weren't done right, cause the heads were not planed flat. So, I gutted it and made one fail swoop thru the whole thing. New HG's, 155 injectors, water pump, thermostat, belts, checked HPOP fitting, exhaust manifold gaskets. You name it, but we are done and ready for the next 200k. Yes you guys can beat on the "FORD" but as I said it just went form a GREAT Deal to a GOOD deal. Did the Outer Banks last week and saw 14.8mpg until we got stuck in traffic and in the low 20's running around the island. So the extra money was unexpected, but still worth doing. We love the truck and will keep it around to remind Paul of the good ol' days before the AWESOME 6.7 and to share in Eric's joy everytime he fires up his white stallion.

Guess I just highjacked my own thread  :-\

So back to the regular programming. Anybody have any recommendations in the Shenandoah Valley? Some of the places I found were in the mid $40 per night and if we stay north of the Blue Ridge Parkway it will be around 4 hours. But we still may take a drive down part of it.

Thanks guys,

Jim

Just looking for a week of relaxing, getting in a little hiking and maybe a round of golf for daddy. And all at a very minimum budget, kinda an extra trip. Was also thinking about taking up the offer at that place that has been bugging me for free camping (Bass Lake Resort in NY). Would have to sit thru the sales pitch seminar, but it would be free and within 4 hours.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:49:29 pm »
Well that was funny for sure. But I have been a bit absent here as of late, some may have noticed. That "better version of your last truck" went from a GREAT deal to a GOOD deal....

Wow dude.... :(

Sorry to hear that. After all your efforts to make camping a little more economical that's not what you wanted.

As far as what to do...around here we have some awesome state parks in the best spots in the state and they average 35-42 dollars a night. Is anything like that near you?

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 01:00:23 pm »
Wow dude.... :(

Sorry to hear that. After all your efforts to make camping a little more economical that's not what you wanted.

As far as what to do...around here we have some awesome state parks in the best spots in the state and they average 35-42 dollars a night. Is anything like that near you?

No it was definitely not in the plans, but it is what it is. Not sure about local state parks for us. Never really looked into them as we have always been full hook up campers and a little too big for most sites in state parks.

Jim

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:13:04 pm »
No it was definitely not in the plans, but it is what it is. Not sure about local state parks for us. Never really looked into them as we have always been full hook up campers and a little too big for most sites in state parks.

Jim

90% of ours are electric only. The FHU usually stayed booked all summer. Many sites are large enough for 5vers. Thats not a problem. Our parks have water spigots spread throughout the campsites and we have learned where they are located. If we can get within 200 feet we can resupply the fresh water. The tanks we can drain with a tote. Might be outside your 4 hour window but checkout Hocking Hills State Park. Gorges, caves, and waterfalls. Awesome scenery and hiking. The state park campground has a nice pool and paved roads for biking. Right off I70 in eastern Ohio.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
Yeah nevermind, your about 500 miles from there lol!

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:30:24 pm »
Yeah nevermind, your about 500 miles from there lol!

Yeah even I couldn't pull that off in 4 hours.  ::)

Jim

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 01:37:10 pm »

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 02:58:11 pm »
Hey gang,

Ok gang lets have it?

Jim

One of my favorite spots that I have been selling to a few here on D&T is the Cove Campground:
http://www.covecampground.com/

It is just off I-81 behind Winchester Virginia in the Northern Virginia Shenandoah Mountains.
Just electric sites with water about every third or forth site; sites are huge, venue is magnificent. If you go we will join you on the 25th. They have miles of awesome hiking, biking, ATVing and Jeep rock crawler trails with magnificent views of several states from the top of the mountain.  The fishing is unbelievable in the 3 large spring fed lakes. 2 cast I caught a HUGE crappie. This place is a well kept secret; very obscure. It is behind a national boy scout camp. We will bring the ATVs' They have a tubing thing in the winter on the old ski slope. They have canoes and Kayaks for rent too. They have a white sand beach with life guard on duty on the largest lake just a few hundred feet from the camping area

Eric

If you go here you will make it a regular expedition each year; I promise. everything is very laid back here.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:02:11 pm by Happy Camper »
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 04:01:45 pm »
One of my favorite spots that I have been selling to a few here on D&T is the Cove Campground:
http://www.covecampground.com/

It is just off I-81 behind Winchester Virginia in the Northern Virginia Shenandoah Mountains.
Just electric sites with water about every third or forth site; sites are huge, venue is magnificent. If you go we will join you on the 25th. They have miles of awesome hiking, biking, ATVing and Jeep rock crawler trails with magnificent views of several states from the top of the mountain.  The fishing is unbelievable in the 3 large spring fed lakes. 2 cast I caught a HUGE crappie. This place is a well kept secret; very obscure. It is behind a national boy scout camp. We will bring the ATVs' They have a tubing thing in the winter on the old ski slope. They have canoes and Kayaks for rent too. They have a white sand beach with life guard on duty on the largest lake just a few hundred feet from the camping area

Eric

If you go here you will make it a regular expedition each year; I promise. everything is very laid back here.

I looked at that and thought it rang a bell. When they mentioned the atv trails, I thought it may have been the place you spoke of before. But it does mention it being somewhat "primitive" and "you can do what you want as long as you aren't bothering others". Guy who works for our town went there one time for a jeep crawl and he kinda referred to it as a "drink and stink weekend". So I must admit I am leary about it being our cup of tea as a family, but know that you have loved it there.

Will surely add to the list and you joining will certainly help its cause.

I actually just looked at the rates and we would be like $54 per night???? 2 adults, 2 kids and electric. Not sure about that for elec  only site??

Jim
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 04:11:58 pm by joonbee »

Offline clarkely

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 10:09:14 pm »
Check out rickets glen state park..... You will live it!!! Less than 2hours..... Beautiful lake up top....... Good hiking and like 30 waterfalls......

It is only an 18% grade up to it :)

Star park..... No hook ups at all.... But inexpensive and absolutely beautiful.... And big sites.....

There are also a couple hook up campgrounds nearby..... Nothing flashy.... But saves the big hill climb..... And u don't need to run the genny ... And u r still close to the park....

Sorry don't have enough experience on Shenandoah to comment on them.....

Watkins glen ny is nice to....

As is north east Ohio......  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:12:37 am by clarkely »
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers