Author Topic: Our July Road trip  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
Our July Road trip
« on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:50 pm »
I havent been on here in a week or so. As I alluded to in the Halloween rally page, Sara and I were away and almost off the grid for about a week.

We left here (Doylestown, PA) and ended up at http://www.thewillowsonthelake.com/ Willows on the lake. We were attempting to get up to Potsdam, NY and overnight in the walmart, but as the sun was setting a quick search through the directory we found this place and it was a real nice spot. The camp was super clean and the owner, a retired firefighter out near Boston, was very friendly and got us set up in a pullthrough for the night. After a quick setup, we hurried to the water to catch the sunset into Canada... This was right on Lake Ontario and very beautiful stop. The only downside we saw to the campground was a lack of a beach... the lake is all rock on the eastern end, no real sand unless they truck it in, so the swimming area was pretty much flat stone.

our site

sunset and all the camp people watching from the shoreline.

campground view from the water... the waterfront sites are 4-5 camp cabins that you can rent, and then the trailer go in behind them.

From there, we went to Higley Flow State Park in South Colton, NY. It was our first time without water, sewer, cable, etc... we did have electric that we could run most of the appliances with. I followed Eric's how to on cleaning up your freshwater tank, and happy to say no diseases or parasites to report... yet. The loop we were in was loop C... and it was TIGHT! We watched a couple of people have real troubles getting their campers in and out. I neglected to take other photos, so only got the one photo of our site. This was Loop C, site 63. We were up there for a family reunion that Sara's family does every year. They rent a cottage on the Raquette River (spelling?) section called Higley Flow. The cabin is really small and with 25-30 people, bed sites run out quick. So we opted to stay 5 mins away in the state park. The river shot is from the beach at the cabin. not bad to spend a week hanging out there.

Our Site at Higley Flow SP... COLTON NY

Raquette River at Higley Flow

We left Higley on Thursday afternoon and then had a layover at Lake George. There was nobody on the roads the entire day... this was it:

We spent a night at the Adirondack Camping Village. It was 2 miles outside of town and looked nice. The office and pool were nice, but you could only get wifi by the office, not throughout the sites like we had thought. The site we ended up at was a little tight, but we spent the night there and werent going to complain. We ended up going into town. Wow... civilization! Lake George was packed!! We didnt think it would be so packed, and after spending the rest of our trip pretty much the only two on the road, the sites and sounds of people kinda surprised us. I do wish we had more than 18 hours at Lake George, so it will probably be on our list of places to stop again. Here is a photo of the lake and our site.

Site

Lake George

Friday night put is in with my Mom at her house in CT. We had a wedding to attend on Saturday and we got back home on Sunday a couple hour ago...

Great trip in all... We also went through Saratoga Springs, I believe that is where TwoElkhounds is from and if we had your number, we would have called. I figured a PM on here or email wouldnt reach you in time to do much of anything than to say hi... but now we know where you guys are at... not that far away at all... so when we make it up to Lake George in the future, we will have to give you guys a shout.

2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline TwoElkhounds

Re: Our July Road trip
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 10:37:32 pm »
Hey Matt,

Yes, you were just down the road from us, maybe 10-15 minutes.  I will PM you my phone number, next time you better call!!!!

I hope you were able to see what a gem Upstate New York is.   There is so much camping here, all different kinds, dry camping, state camping, full hook ups, no hookups, power only,  ...............   When we moved to New York from out west we were somewhat concerned as we loved to camp.   In the end, there is more to see and do here, more camping than anywhere we lived out West.  Upstate New York is a great place to be in the outdoors, no Grand Canyon or Yellowstone, but for camping, it can't be beat.

You should have asked me about Higley Flow, I have that campground completely mapped.  I could have given you advice on what spots are the best.  This is generally true of any New York State campgrounds, we have many of them mapped with pictures.  Really helps in the winter when making reservations.  Next time be sure to let me know you will be here!!

DAN

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:41:02 pm »
Dan- I wish I had known!! This is a yearly event... so I am sure we will be up there again. What did your notes say about C63?

The site wasnt bad getting into it, the loop was very narrow with cars and trucks out by the lane... but we managed without any paint rubs!

2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:55:34 pm »
Dan- I wish I had known!! This is a yearly event... so I am sure we will be up there again. What did your notes say about C63?

The site wasnt bad getting into it, the loop was very narrow with cars and trucks out by the lane... but we managed without any paint rubs!

Well, site C63 is not on our list, which means it is a site we would not have chosen.   Not because it was necessarily bad, but maybe too small and difficult.  We have the best sites at Higley Flow to be 21, 25, 32, and 78.

Maybe next year we can get together and do a Adirondack dry camping extravaganza?  Maybe others will join in?  Maybe we can work in Saratoga race track, Lake George, and the high peaks?  Time to start saving for a generator Matt.  Once you are set up with the right gear, dry camping is just as good (actually better) than camping with hookups.  The Adirondacks have endless dry camping opportunities. 

DAN

Offline RVnMC

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:32:21 pm »
I havent been on here in a week or so. As I alluded to in the Halloween rally page, Sara and I were away and almost off the grid for about a week.

Looks like all y'all had a nice relaxing vacation with some beautiful views.
Bev - '62
Drew - '64 GBNF 8/3/13
Jesse La Bandita '09 (Cocker Spaniel)
Winston Churchill '01 (Cocker Spaniel) RIP 5/26/13
2011 SD Ford F250 4x4 SuperCab XLT 158" WB 6.2L V8 3.73 ELA Class IV SOLD! 11/7/15
2012 Keystone Passport 199ML SOLD! 7/29/15
'12 H-D FLHX Street Glide

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:36:18 pm »
Sounds like a nice trip.  I love empty roads.
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06