Author Topic: Need some advice from you computer geeks  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
Re: Need some advice from you computer geeks
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:54 pm »
Nice!  You guys are as bad about computers as you are about campers:  "Sure, that's a nice gold plated unit, but this one is platinum"  8)

I think this explains it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XuzpsO4ErOQ
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 07:59:05 pm »
You're right, silly me....

Anyone want to buy my old Celeron laptop?  :D
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:55 pm »
I think this explains it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XuzpsO4ErOQ

That is freaking hilarious!  ;D   You are right, it expalins it all.  Guess I should just go all the way to eleven!
DAN

BrandonMH

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 09:04:03 am »
If he is going to game or do heavy graphics stuff on the laptop, make sure he gets a laptop cooler for underneath it.  It sucks the heat away from the bottom where the vents and fans are to help it stay cooler and make it last longer.  They can be cheap or a bit expensive for one as well.  I am a fan of desktops because of the upgradeability.  Sure not portable like a laptop but you have a bigger screen too.  I have an ancient laptop, but we now have a "family" laptop that hardly gets used....someone had to have one...and never uses it now, which is kinda good.  I use it on occasion.  If I need to surf or something on the go, I have my smartphone.  But for school, a laptop is ideal since it can goto class and you can take notes on it and takes up less space in a dorm and that.  High end systems can cost a lot period.  I rebuilt this thing a few years ago and I forget how much I spent on just the parts, I kept the tower, and power supply which were still more power than other systems, and just put in a better board, card, cpu etc.  The damn tower weighs like 50 lbs itself.  I also finally went flat panel back then since I kept getting pretty new free monitors then, even a brand new one from a friend from their work. 

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 09:12:46 am »
If he is going to game or do heavy graphics stuff on the laptop, make sure he gets a laptop cooler for underneath it.  It sucks the heat away from the bottom where the vents and fans are to help it stay cooler and make it last longer.  They can be cheap or a bit expensive for one as well.  I am a fan of desktops because of the upgradeability.  Sure not portable like a laptop but you have a bigger screen too.  I have an ancient laptop, but we now have a "family" laptop that hardly gets used....someone had to have one...and never uses it now, which is kinda good.  I use it on occasion.  If I need to surf or something on the go, I have my smartphone.  But for school, a laptop is ideal since it can goto class and you can take notes on it and takes up less space in a dorm and that.  High end systems can cost a lot period.  I rebuilt this thing a few years ago and I forget how much I spent on just the parts, I kept the tower, and power supply which were still more power than other systems, and just put in a better board, card, cpu etc.  The damn tower weighs like 50 lbs itself.  I also finally went flat panel back then since I kept getting pretty new free monitors then, even a brand new one from a friend from their work. 

Yeah, a desktop would be prefereable for this, but we need portability.  Kids like to bring their stuff camping, and we do a lot of camping.   The inability to upgrade the laptop is a real negative, which makes me think I should just go ahead and get the most bad ass machine possible.  Sure, it may cost more, but the chances of it going obsolete next year is diminished. 

Still thinking........................

DAN

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:44 pm »
WoW!  I don't know how I missed this thread and I definitely deserve to be poked with a stick!!

Your son really built out a nicely spec'ed laptop and it is probably deserving of the price you mentioned....I am not a gamer, but here is my 2 cents....

Processor, RAM and SSD drives are important for speed.  An SSD drive is much faster than a regular hard drive, but I don't think 512GB is necessary.  If he is like most gamers I know he is not running ten different games at a time so he can keep the ones he plays most often and require the most speed on the SSD drive and the others on the hard drive.  I built a computer recently and I only have a 128GB SSD drive and put the apps requiring the most performance on it.

Similar thing goes for the RAM.  24 GB is nice, but probably not necssary and the nice thing about RAM is you can upgrade it.

Processor is where I would put the money, not easy if not impossible to upgrade on a laptop.  Slower processor might require an newer laptop sooner, rather than later, but I am not sure I would invest in the highest one either, they aren't always that much better then one or two steps down and they can all be overclocked (not that I would recommend that on a laptop).

17.3 inches is a large laptop to lug around, not exactly portable when compared to today's iPads and what not.

I guess the bigger question here is....what games is he running?  Also, did the $3500 price tag you mention include MS Office?

I will keep an eye on this thread....sorry I missed it!  :(

CPU: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ Processor
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 780M 
RAM: 24 GB
SSD: 512 GB Samsung 840 Pro Series Solid State Drive
Hard Drive: 1 TB
WIFI: Intel Centrino 2230
Screen: 17.3" 1080p Full High Definition LED Backlit Display with Matte Finished Surface ( 1920 x 1080 )
System: Windows 7/8 Professional

2005 F150 Supercrew 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Turbo Diesel & 2011 Outback 260FL

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 06:16:16 pm »
Ace has a good point on the size/weight.  Perhaps you should get him 2 laptops, one for classes and one for games!  :D
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:25 pm »
Thanks Ace for the nice reply.

Yes the 17" display is large, but we normally only lug it short distances.  He does not carry it around school for example.  The $3500 price tag was for an Alienware machine that was simlilar, it did not include MS Office.   

He currently plays Rollercoaster Tycoon, but has some amazing layouts and sceneries which his current machine struggles with.   He wants to get into playing some of the more interactive games with my daughter.  I bought my daughter a nice machine last year to run her graphics software, she loves to do graphic art on her computer, so we got her a high end graphics card and processor (at least for the time).    She can play these games, he cannot.   Not sure of the names of the games, but they involve things like zombies and guns.

You are kind of confirming what I have been thinking, we should invest in the processor and the graphics card as they cannot be upgraded.  What processor would you recommend?  We are looking at the 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ Processor, but are also considering the 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor.  The 4900 is probably upwards of $400 more expensive.  There are even more expensive processors, so I guess it is hard to tell what would be considered a high end processor for us novices.  Do you think there will be a noticeable improvement in performance from between the 4900 and the 4700?

Thanks,

DAN

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 09:24:42 pm »
   He currently plays Rollercoaster Tycoon, but has some amazing layouts and sceneries which his current machine struggles with.     
...... She can play these games, he cannot.   Not sure of the names of the games, but they involve things like zombies and guns.

Roller Coaster Tycoon and you're at Cedar Point... I see a trend here... ;D

Do the games your DD play involve those Pennsylvania Zombies?  :thinking:

Eric
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 10:11:12 pm »
Thanks Ace for the nice reply.

Yes the 17" display is large, but we normally only lug it short distances.  He does not carry it around school for example.  The $3500 price tag was for an Alienware machine that was simlilar, it did not include MS Office.   

He currently plays Rollercoaster Tycoon, but has some amazing layouts and sceneries which his current machine struggles with.   He wants to get into playing some of the more interactive games with my daughter.  I bought my daughter a nice machine last year to run her graphics software, she loves to do graphic art on her computer, so we got her a high end graphics card and processor (at least for the time).    She can play these games, he cannot.   Not sure of the names of the games, but they involve things like zombies and guns.

You are kind of confirming what I have been thinking, we should invest in the processor and the graphics card as they cannot be upgraded.  What processor would you recommend?  We are looking at the 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4900MQ Processor, but are also considering the 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor.  The 4900 is probably upwards of $400 more expensive.  There are even more expensive processors, so I guess it is hard to tell what would be considered a high end processor for us novices.  Do you think there will be a noticeable improvement in performance from between the 4900 and the 4700?

Thanks,

DAN

How soon are you looking to pull the trigger?  My bro-in-law is a computer whiz and so is his friend.  I am going to email them and get their input.

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »

DAN
How soon are you looking to pull the trigger?  My bro-in-law is a computer whiz and so is his friend.  I am going to email them and get their input.

We have a week or more.

DAN

Offline Ace

• Dog and Trailer
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 05:24:55 pm »
All waiting to hear back from my bro in law

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 10:35:18 pm »
Trigger is pulled, just purchased a MSI gt70 2od-039us gaming laptop.  Seems to have good reviews and has the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card which my son really wanted.   Seems to be a beast of a laptop, maybe a bit overkill.  Got it on Amazon for $2600.  Specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor
• 17.3" Full HD Anti-Reflective Display (16:9; 1920 x 1080)
• NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780M 4G GDDR5
• Matrix Display
• Cooler Boost 2
• Full Color Programmable Backlit Keyboard by SteelSeries 
• Super RAID 2 (128GB SSD x 3; RAID 0) + 1TB HDD
• 32GB DDR3L 1600MHz System Memory
• Killer™ DoubleShot Technology (Killer™ E2200 + Killer™ Wireless-N 1202)
• USB 3.0 x 3, USB 2.0 x 2
• VGA, HDMI, mDP
• Blu-ray Disc Burner 
• Built-in 720p HD webcam 
• World-Class Dynaudio Premium Speakers
• Audio Boost Technology

Good news is that I do not have to worry about birthday and Christmas gifts now, shopping is all done for my son for the next year.  Now we just have to wait and see what he thinks when there is nothing under the tree Christmas morning.   :)

Now I got o deal with the daughter, she wants a kickass gaming desktop for Christmas.    :(

DAN 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:37:03 pm by TwoElkhounds »

Offline clarkely

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 08:20:03 am »
at the cost of that lap top.....cant it project a hologram of gifts under the tree :)

I am sure he will be quite happy when that bad boy arrives...... i recently upgraded, i was way overdue on upgrading my lap top ...... but nothing like that :)
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:45 am »
at the cost of that lap top.....cant it project a hologram of gifts under the tree :)

I am sure he will be quite happy when that bad boy arrives...... i recently upgraded, i was way overdue on upgrading my lap top ...... but nothing like that :)

Yes, a little bit expensive.   Always hard to know what to do with computers.  Spend $1500 and get something that maybe does not run all the stuff you want and is possibly outdated in a year or two, or get something bad ass that you know will do everything you want.   Given the specs of this machine, I thought $2600 was a pretty good price.   Reviews of the machine were all pretty favorable.   Benchmarks also looked good.  Boots in 3 seconds!!  It also has some nice features like an anodized aluminum case and a backlit LED keyboard that you can program with different colors and effects.  Also has a turbo mode for the fan if needed for cooling.  Does not have the 4900 processor, but I think the 4700 will be adequate.

On the flip side, we get his old laptop for us and it is still plenty powerful to log onto Dog and Trailer.  :)

DAN