Author Topic: Battery project install pics...  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Collinsfam_WY

Battery project install pics...
« on: June 18, 2015, 10:19:01 pm »
Don't hate me Paul - the Snowy Range pictures will come soon :)

Here are some pictures of the install I did.  Paul you gotta understand that in order to get the Snowy Range pictures, I had to do this first!   8)  Gap was left between the two battery boxes so that I can add a third box of dual 6v batts for more amp hours.  Should find out in the next trip or two if this is the case.  Ended using 4ga wire to save money.  Bought a bit extra figuring that I would mess up at least once and have to use more than I should have.  If I ever replace the converter or add another series of 6v batteries (a possibility), I might upgrade the wiring to 2ga or 1ga.  Now that I know how to make battery cables, I am much more comfortable spending more on a thicker gauge.  Got a few places on the heatshrink a bit too hot with the propane torch but it came out ok. BTW - found a place on the web that sells the NOCO Marine dual 6v boxes for about 1/2 what the RV place was going to charge.  I think I paid about $50 per box.  They are very sturdy and very well built.  Impressed with the quality of them.

Curtis, Micah, DD#1 (13) DD#2 ( 8), DS (6) & DD#3 (3)
Open Range RF367BHS
TV 2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins \ 68RFE
EFI Live, S&B, MBRP, AirDog, H&S, Mag-Hytec Pans, Autometer Gauges
Firestone Ride Rite, 40gal Aux Tank, 15K Superglide

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
Re: Battery project install pics...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:49 pm »
Looking good: that ought to get you through many hours of dry camping. A solar panel would really be a nice addition to complete that project.

2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 06:09:45 am »
looks awesome !  good looking battery boxes.....

i wait patiently..... :)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 07:14:18 am »
Looks great!   I'm betting you're going to be real happy with those.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:17:26 am by Nathan »
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline clarkely

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 02:06:23 pm »
Looks Great!!
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »
So......   how did it work out?

Offline Collinsfam_WY

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 11:01:55 pm »
Nathan - good question.  Compared to the dual 12's, we had far, far more available power.  It wasn't even close - we never ran the batteries below 12.3v.  It also was much nicer not to have to work in the dark and be so picky about how many lights were on at once (most of our lights are LED's).  Much better. 

What is interesting is that both DW and I came away with the same thought on this.  Basically - you guys are right.  Solar is the way to go.  With our "quiet" Honda EU2000i sitting there humming away, we both realized that with solar - that "humming away" thing for most part just never happens and your batteries stay in great shape.  You don't have to run the generator much at all.  Well - I suppose if you need 110v or if you go without Sun for several days you might need it but wow - it sure would save a mountain of hours on my Honda.  And it would make our evenings that much more pleasant!  So, Solar is in our future and I will have to once again, lean on you guys for help.

Will the 4x 6's be enough?  I suspect that they are but I can't tell yet.  Our furnace only went off a couple of times in the night with the t-stat set on 64f.  To get a good test, I need a night where it goes off every 10min. like we experienced at the end of last season or beginning of this one.  450 amp hours is a massive upgrade over what we had before but I also keep in mind that even topped off, what we had before would not last through on those cold nights.  So considering what we have been through, 675ah and Solar sounds pretty darn good.  The Solar will have to wait until a certain real estate event decides to occur.  Additional batteries might fit in - trying to sell some stuff from the old house on Craigslist right now :)

-CC

Curtis, Micah, DD#1 (13) DD#2 ( 8), DS (6) & DD#3 (3)
Open Range RF367BHS
TV 2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins \ 68RFE
EFI Live, S&B, MBRP, AirDog, H&S, Mag-Hytec Pans, Autometer Gauges
Firestone Ride Rite, 40gal Aux Tank, 15K Superglide

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 10:35:26 am »
Glad to hear!   Solar is great,  but I understand that it's pricey.  I think you need to invite WP out to help you install it when you're ready.   He needs an excuse to go west!   :)

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:44:05 am »
you know i would love to do it !  DW would have different ideas, though...

your 450 AH's gives you about 200 usable AH's...and that's plenty for adding a solar panel setup....

i would say 3 100 watt panels would be awesome, with a MPPT charge controller and a battery temp sensor.  pretty easy to install; cost is steadily falling....

when you are ready, we'll get you there....

i am installing mine at some point this summer, when i have time.  been waiting to source the panels, as the price has been falling....
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 11:08:21 am »
Agree,  the panels are coming way down.