Author Topic: First real camp of the trip  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
Re: First real camp of the trip
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 05:24:34 pm »
and holy heatwave out there, batman....

you're driving right into the hot sauna....no wonder the winds you have faced....

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline jasonrebecca

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 04:16:31 pm »
Hey, its only supposed to be 99 this weekend out here. We have been "camping" in the backyard in the TT w/the AC set at 68!
2015 F150 EcoBoost
2008 Outback 21rs
DH (Jason) DW(Rebecca) DS(Oliver '11)  DD (Emily '14)DG (Penny '17)

Offline TwoElkhounds

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 02:00:22 am »
I'm ahead of you Paul,  but not by much.   Fuel economy for each day was: 7.5, 7.3, and 7.8.  ::)

What a great trip Nathan!   I did something similar a few years ago and it was awesome!

You guys need to stop worrying about fuel consumption, you know it is going to suck, just accept it.  Assume you are going to get 7 mpg average and use the number to calculate your fuel cost, then sit back, relax, and drive.  One day it will be 8 mpg, another day it will be 6 mpg, still another day it will be 10 mpg when the Gods smile upon you.  In the end, the only lever you can pull is speed, so you need to decide on a case by case basis what balance to place on the time versus speed equation. 

I have stopped worrying about mileage and base my decisions on the circumstance.  If I feel the need to get someplace quickly, I put the pedal to the metal and go 65-70 mph and understand that I will get 9-10 mpg.  If I have time and am not in a rush, I lay off and go 55-60 mph and know that I will get 11-12 mpg.  I cannot control the weather, traffic, wind, or rain, so I do not worry about these factors (though they may impact how I drive).   

I stopped calculating mileage long ago, it sucks, I know it sucks, and I see no reason to calculate mileage to the tenth of mpg.  Fill the tank and go!!  Once you free yourself from the mpg shackles, life gets much better.

DAN

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »
Oh,  I'll still keep traveling and filling up the tank.   I'll also keep tracking it to provide 'feedback' when I get back to work.  ;)

Yes,  it's hot here.   It cools off  at night but the hiking during the day is brutal with Temps around 80.  This is the first time I've had cell service since Yakima.  I'm currently at Sunrise which is 6400' so I guess my phone can see over the mountains and forests.
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline Collinsfam_WY

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 11:56:06 am »
You know Nathan - work has the solution for that mpg ready to go.  All you have to do it drop it in!  Such a great option too.  Currently "Discovered" to make 330hp.  500lb/ft.  27mpg. 

Of course there is another mfg. about to put that sweet new "Big Red" 5.0 V8 in their own XD making 310hp & 555lb/ft.

Please discuss these items with Mr. Fields at your earliest convenience.

No I am not going to give up hope for an F150/Expy Coal Roller!!!

Curtis
Curtis, Micah, DD#1 (13) DD#2 ( 8), DS (6) & DD#3 (3)
Open Range RF367BHS
TV 2007.5 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins \ 68RFE
EFI Live, S&B, MBRP, AirDog, H&S, Mag-Hytec Pans, Autometer Gauges
Firestone Ride Rite, 40gal Aux Tank, 15K Superglide