Author Topic: Looking for advice on installing "off the grid" Solar/Trojan/Inverter system.  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
I'm ready for the next mod;

I have the following ready to install
100 watt Solar Panel/charge controller
4 Trojan T105 Batteries
3500 Watt inverter

My question is this; If the batteries are wired into the Coach 12V Charger/Inverter system. and I plug in the reduced 30 AMP 110V plug into the 3500 watt inverter, wired to the batteries, to supply A/C to the entire coach, will there be some kind of electrical feedback loop problem from the coach inverter trying to charge the batteries from the AC electric being supplied from the 3500 watt inverter? I know this might be a little hard to follow I just want to make sure I don't fry anything. ANY input here will be appreciated.     
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline Dockside

• Administrator

If we only had an electrician, or maybe a few people that have real world experience doing this kind of mod that were members of this site.   :thinking: :shrug: :thinking: :dreaming: :thinking:   

:rotfl: :rotfl:
2012 Ford F450 6.7 PS Crew
Sundance 3400qb
2018:
  • We'll figure it out

Offline transamz9

I'm lost. Does the coach have a charge/inverter or a charger/converter. Either way I believe you will have to put in a battery disconnect in between the coaches charger/converter (I believe is what you meant) and the batteries. If you don't ,then your charger/converter will be coming on and trying to charge your batteries with juice it pulls from the batteries. You can get a marine switch that you can put in that you can put the cable from the charger on one side and the cable you will use to power the added inverter on the other side. You would either run in position 1 or position 2.  Position 1 being normal operation and position 2 would disconnect the charger from the batteries. Have the solar panel controller hooked direct to the batteries for charging off grid.

Offline Happy Camper

If we only had an electrician, or maybe a few people that have real world experience doing this kind of mod that were members of this site.   :thinking: :shrug: :thinking: :dreaming: :thinking:   
:rotfl: :rotfl:

I wonder who that would be... :thinking:

I'm lost. Does the coach have a charge/inverter or a charger/converter. Either way I believe you will have to put in a battery disconnect in between the coaches charger/converter (I believe is what you meant) and the batteries. If you don't ,then your charger/converter will be coming on and trying to charge your batteries with juice it pulls from the batteries. You can get a marine switch that you can put in that you can put the cable from the charger on one side and the cable you will use to power the added inverter on the other side. You would either run in position 1 or position 2.  Position 1 being normal operation and position 2 would disconnect the charger from the batteries. Have the solar panel controller hooked direct to the batteries for charging off grid.

Transamz9; thanks for input, and the expert advise;  A marine switch is a very good suggestions, including the solar panel controller wiring recommendation. 
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline TwoElkhounds

Hi Eric,

I power my whole fiver with a 5000 W inverter.    Check out this post on my setup, it may help.

http://www.dogandtrailer.com/camper-modifications/5000w-inverter-install/msg44882/#msg44882

I am not sure why you are plugging the shore power into the inverter?  Does it have an integral transfer switch?

DAN

Offline Happy Camper

Hi Eric,

I power my whole fiver with a 5000 W inverter.    Check out this post on my setup, it may help.

http://www.dogandtrailer.com/camper-modifications/5000w-inverter-install/msg44882/#msg44882

I am not sure why you are plugging the shore power into the inverter?  Does it have an integral transfer switch?

DAN

Seeing your post was real helpful. I purchased a 350 amp disconnect after Transamz9 confirmed what I thought, and was confirmed in your post about the MOD you did; the built-in coach charger/converter, cannot charge the battery bank while running off of the inverter. I also purchased a monitor to keep an eye on the whole setup: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYAV6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01
I am not sure about an integrated transfer switch; there probably is one installed since the RV has a built-in generator. I planned to plug the shore power male into the inverter because it seems to be the simplest option. Basement storage areas are at a premium on my RV, and there is no room for 4 batteries where the original 2 were located, so I am locating two in the locker where the shore power cord is located along with the 3500W inverter, and the other two batteries in the original spot for the coach batteries; the two areas are only 5' apart. I have 2 guage cabling to connect the two sets so that should be ok. The solar panel will be used exactly the same way that you use yours; on the ground when needed and angled towards the sun. I wish I could do as clean and tight of an install as you did; it really looks as good as it is functional. We are headed to the Rockies this Summer; most of our camping will be dry, this is a  partial reason for the "off the grid" system. We are so excited to make this "bucket list" trip       
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:32:15 am by Happy Camper »