Author Topic: Making that new RV yours!  (Read 7913 times)

Offline egregg57

Making that new RV yours!
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:14 am »
The last thing on a new owners mind may be making modifications to that new RV. Most you have bought your new rig after looking at different models, walking through many different floor plans and trying to decide which one is right for you and your family.

Soon after using your new toy you may find things that you would like to add. Little amenities such as an extra light here, maybe better reception for your TV. Perhaps you want a screen room or want to add something to the inside of your camper.

For those that haven't done this sort of thing before....ugh! Drilling holes? Putting screws into the wall or exterior!? Do I really want to do that!? It is a personal choice. But if you decide that you want to do these sorts of things you're not on your own!

There have been many people who have incorporated many different types of modifications. Some simple some complex. Here on D&T you can find through searching many of the most popular mods to do not only to your camper but maybe your tow vehicle as well.

Back-up cameras, outside cook tops, lights, accumulators, larger hot water heaters, swapping to LED lights, installing a new antenna, Signal Boosters, Screen, rooms, Bike rack recievers, a whole host of fun and useful things.

The first thing to do is research what it is you're trying to do. There is a good chance you will find it here in the Modifications forum. BUT if you don't there are many people here that have worked on, performed maintenance to, and installed modifications that can help you get the job done well.

In 2011 we bought a brand new Outback 325FRE Fifth Wheel. We love it. It is huge inside, very comfortable, it is everything we wanted for a fifth wheel, not only in appearance but functionality and comfort. But, being our 4th RV we knew that there are certain things that are not usually included, or things that the RV industry just hasn't decided to do...yet.

Indeed Keystone and other RV manufacturers visit these sites. It is warehouse of information and feedback on thier products, what people like and don't like, and helps them tweak floor plans and amenities to appeal to a wide cross section of people.

With in the month of recieving the "Gregg Escape" the mods began.

- 10DB Signal Booster
- Sirius/XM Satellite Radio
- Clocks
- Additional TV
- Labels
- LED Puck Lights
- Phone Chargers
- Radio Chargers

And more just to name a few.

Many of the mods you may decide to put in are to make your style of camping more comfortable. Some prefer dry camping. That is to say they prefer going to a state park or boondocking out in the middle of no where. This type of camping requires good batteries, perhaps additional batteries, a generator, solar panels perhaps. Tanking plenty of fresh water and the proper foods too. You might think about that for a moment and ask yourself, if you were to go boondocking, what would you NEED to bring with you. What would be nice to have?

Those that like to visit RV parks may need to bring nothing. They will hook up to water, septic, and electricity and will only need to worry about clothes and food.

Still others may plant thier new RV on a seasonal site where it will be for several years or longer.

We fall into the second group. We like to go to different campgrounds and get out and see things...sometimes! Other times it is nice to go and set up for a weekend to just compress. The only thing we need is a place to set up the chairs and some of our favorite foods. We make no plans and just relax.

We have recently, after the DW having knee surgery, gotten into hiking. We have really enjoyed that and so have the dogs. Yes our dogs go with us where ever we go. We start packing up the camper and they go nuts. They love getting out into the woods and trails and lounging at the campground too!

Don't be afraid of making those minor changes and additions. Take the time to plan it out first to make sure that the job is a clean and proffesional one. After you're done you can be proud of your handy work and enjoy seeing it being used.

So take a minute or two, and check out the modifications forum. You may be very surprised and what you might see!

Eric
TV: 2013 Ford F-350 6.7L CC Powerstroke Diesel, Ultimate/Chrome package RV: 2015 Montana 3750FL

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
Re: Making that new RV yours!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:38:08 am »
Great post!!
2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline LaydBack

• 2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Edition
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:07 am »
Guess who'll be starting it all over again?  The new unit's at the dealer, just waiting to close on my son's home loan before taking delivery. It's killing me just knowing it's finally here and I'm still waiting...should be soon though!
LAYD BACK is a way of life
Me, DW, 4 DSs (25, 23, 9, 7)...figured out what caused that...had it fixed!
2013 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L
2013 Sabre 36QBOK-7 Platinum Edition
B&W Companion,  Trailair Rotaflex Pinbox, Trail Air Equaflex, JTs Strong Arms, 12 Gallon Water Heater, Dual ACs, Central Vac, Fireplace, Ceiling Fan, Super Lounge, Slide Toppers

Mods: VacPan, 50A Hardwired Surge Guard, Vortex II in Half Bath, MaxAir Fanmate Covers, 26" LED in bedroom, Slide out 32" LED in pass thru, 32" LED in Bunkhouse, Screen Door Grab Bars, 50A Home Hookup w/ Cable & Wifi

[Pics of My Mods]

Offline swanny

• Global Moderator
    • Our Travels and Things
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 02:13:17 pm »
I agree, good write up Eric. We have added many things to our Montana since we got it. We add shelves, cabinet pullouts, storage hooks and hangers, made my own strong arm stabilizers for the front landing gear, sewer hose storage, add a rear outside pull down shade for the back picture window, made window heat and sun deflectors, taped all the gaps in the ac system and the heating system, checked all wiring out that i could get to, tightened all connections on the converter, fireplace, propanesystem, installed a Maxx 3 speed turbo fan in the bathroom, vent covers and wall pictures. I also closed off every hole, gap and opening i could find inside and out with metal screen and spray foam insulation. The fun thing is you think you did everything possible, then you go to a rally and see a ton of other things my can do. Many rallies i've attended everybody gets together for  a couple hours and they do a walk around looking at ours campers and mods. I have many of my mods in my signature "our travels and thing" it's a link.

kevin
2012 Montana 3625RE   07 Gmc 2500 Dmax / Allison
04 Skeeter Fish and Ski w/ 150hp Yamaha
DW Kathy  Goldens, Kobe (RIP) Yogi & Emma
http://OURTRAVELSANDTHINGS.shutterfly.com/

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
yeah, the mods make the unit for sure.  i have more than i can list on my rig, and i am always tweaking and changing.

but some of the ones that are just critical for us, in no particular order, are:

1.  fresh water system expansion tank.  eliminates the short cycling of the pump when dry camping and gives you more even water pressure.

2.  modified tongue  to hold (4) 6V golf cart batteries for dry camping

3.  solar panels on the roof plus portable panels for when parked in the shade, for year round recharging.  power when dry camping is a not an issue at all, and when the trailer sits i never have to plug it in unless i want to run the A/C

4.  outside shower.  outbacks don't have them, and they are a must for us

5.  storage box on the rear bumper for the dirty / sandy stuff i don't want to put below, like beach gear, awning mats, citronella candles, etc.

6.  upgraded shower curtain (thanks laydback).  the freaking thing just rocks, period.  worth every penny.

7.  1000 watt inverter with 3 dedicated outlets inside the trailer and remote on / off switch, for dry camping

8.  marine style cup holders throughout the camper to hold drinks when sitting in bed or on couch

9.  LED lights throughout to save power (thanks chilipyro)

10.  trimetric RV2025 by battery monitoring system to know the battery status and solar system status.  a must for dry camping (thanks chilipyro)

and last but not least:

11.  outside bottle opener right by entry door !!!!!

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:14:41 pm »
Lots of great ideas.  One I'll quickly repeat in any new unit is the skylight I added.  A must do mod if you like to camp in dense shade or cloudy weather.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 05:44:16 am by Nathan »
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline egregg57

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:25:52 pm »
What is this "mood" you speak of!
TV: 2013 Ford F-350 6.7L CC Powerstroke Diesel, Ultimate/Chrome package RV: 2015 Montana 3750FL

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:34 pm »
Great write up Eric (as usual).

This is one of the things we are actually looking forward to doing when we get the next one. It will be smaller and have less of the creature comforts we had in a 36' Raptor, but will be way less expensive in general, so we are going to be able to do a lot more with it, which is very exciting.

I look forward to starting over and picking the brains of all the experts, yet again.

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:47 am »
Darn auto correct.  :)
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline egregg57

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:12:49 am »
 :devil: Target of opportunity!

Offline BrandonMH

• What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 09:23:01 am »
I have had most of the mods done for me, since this was a used unit.  Ask Hunter70, the previous owners were very good at modding and ALOT is done, puck lights in the cabinets, Fantastic fan in kitchen, acumulator and better water pump, towel rods/holders all over, in sink mount water filtration system, racks on inside of cabinets in kitchen (for spices, etc.).  I have found some that I do want to do.  I have some of the gear in there already, not all of it.  I would have moved all the stuff from the popup to the outback but a box....uh, ended up toppled over and all the silverware from the holder and other stuff was all over the porch floor (thanks mom) so I need to wash those and pots and pans. I do though, have some plastic cups and paper plates in there...was supposed to be for the break in the camper party, for which the bottle of champagne still sits in the fridge in the house.  Had that since Nov 4th, keep forgetting about it.

Offline Snowhawk2

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 11:20:20 am »
Great post Eric.  You have been on fire with some great posts this winter.
Coach 2016  Newmar Ventana 4322 44' Class A Diesel Pusher.

Offline egregg57

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 12:57:37 pm »
Great post Eric.  You have been on fire with some great posts this winter.

I appreciate that, very much!  I tend to get creative when bored! Its that time of year ya know!

Offline Joe/GA

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 06:33:28 am »
I've wondered about the mods I did to my Outback and how the new owner likes them. Since I traded mine in, I don't know who has it.
Joe & Delores
Furkid, Maggie
2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
2011 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Saint Marys, Georgia

Offline fishfry2

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 09:07:57 am »
5.  storage box on the rear bumper for the dirty / sandy stuff i don't want to put below, like beach gear, awning mats, citronella candles, etc.
Great Post!
I think this will be huge! Outback has done a good job (I think) with added outlets, gadget chargers, LED lights.  Storage will be an issue I fear.
2014 Blue Toyota Tundra 5.7 TRD
2015 Outback 316RL
2006 Outback 25RSS
Kevin (fishfry)
Janice (fishfry2)
Samantha & Daniel <all grown up and don't really camp with us
Kairi :tailwag: - Siberian Husky