Author Topic: Horse Lovers?  (Read 4940 times)

Offline summergames84

Horse Lovers?
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:07:27 pm »
I guess no one is traveling with their horses, but are there any horse lovers out there?  I am a lifelong horse owner, that is, until 2007. That is when our last horse passed away at age 27.  We had a horse ranch in Oklahoma for years, but had to eventually downsize and move to the big city.  We kept three horses down here, and as they aged and went to the Heavenly Pasture, did not replace them.  I just went to a reining show this week, and the horse bug has me again.  But, I will listen to reason for a change and not take the plunge again.  I love to follow all types of horse events, and think horses are the most enchanted and beautiful creatures on earth. 

Oh, ours were AQHA race bred and also showed in barrels and pole bending.  In my youth, I showed hunt seat equitation, hunters and jumpers. with a dabbling of dressage. :)
Karen & John
Kiefer & Clint (smooth collies)
2011 Outback 298RE
Katy, TX

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
Re: Horse Lovers?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »
Many moons ago as a little boy (15 y/o) in a small town in MO. I was the IL and MO grand champion in 2 different classes on a $400 unregistered apaloosa named Tequila Sunrise. Did some pole bending and barrels, but he was more of a round the ringer. Won the Flag and Plug race overall for the season. My family rented and ran a 65 stall barn until we moved towards "the city" and gotta away from them cold turkey. My car took the horses place, which made it alot easier then, but I still get the itch and would love to just go on a trail ride one day. Probably havent sat a horse 6 times since then, but its kinda like a bicycle.

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:30:58 pm »
Ive worked with horses, but dont think I have ever owned one. My brother went down to the farm across the way when he was younger, maybe 13/14 years old and got a job. After that, he started to bring me around too and we cleaned up after horses and fed them. I was 16, and was working in town at the local grocery store, However, I was able to help more with the big projects like cutting hay, but still do like horses and the people that can really train them and ride them well.

2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL

Offline Wolfie

• Barn burned down. Now I can see the moon!
    • 4Winds Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:35:25 pm »
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!!  If I'm not talking dogs or photography - I'm talking about horses!!!!

Horses have been in my life since I was a teenager (and, before that, they were in my dreams).  All sorts of horse-oriented "jobs" ... trail leading, etc. First couple years of summer camp were at "Riding Camp".  My brother's best friend in HS had 2 horses and, being the ever-so-clecer little sister that I was, I KNEW a 16 y/o boy had other things he'd rather be doing than deal with horses.  I stepped in, offered to "help", and ended up having 2 horses all to myself whenever I wanted to ride.  When I was 16, I ended up buying one of them (the other had already been sold to a friend of mine).  Blue Frost B  (Frosty) was a 16.2, dapple "gray"  (read - WHITE) Grade Arabian x Appaloosa gelding and, for several years, HE WAS MY WORLD!!!  He had been a cutting horse out west when he was younger and we with some some of that memory bank ... eventually leading in equitation, trail, poles, & barrels (not too tough in southern CT ... where hunt seat reigns!!)  I sold Frosty when I went to college .... Equine Management & Equestrian Arts for 1 yr ..... but spent that last summer in TenSleep, Wyoming running the horse program at the National Girl Scout Center. I transferred from that college  (TRUST ME!  A Southern Baptist Finishing School is NO PLACE for a Yankee!!!)  Came back to my roots, started the Intercollegiate Riding Team at Springfield College and served as it's coach & captain for 3yrs, qualified & placed in both the Intercollegiate Regional & National Championships, and trained & taught at a local barn.  btw - beginning in my freshman yr, it was all hunt, balance, & forward seat....not bad for a former, self taught, western rider :ohyeah:

I've ridden a bit since college and served a few years as the Board President of a Premarin Rescue organization here in NH.  We had planned to adopt one of the Rescues but that just never happened.  Since then, I, TOO, have been listening to the "Voice of Reason".  I mean - I've been hauling 3 saddles around the country for YEARS...."just in case....   I only sold FROSTY's saddles last Fall!!!   Still, all I need to do is touch one soft, warm nose and look into those deep magical eyes .... and it starts ALL OVER again!!! 

Jim - maybe we can find a stable at or near Acadia....
Wolfie & KB
3 Shelties, 3 Bengal Cats, 15 pigeons
2007 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4 5.7 w/ Tow Pkg ("Herself")
2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Light 5'er (8280WS) ("Puff the Magic StarShip")

Offline Jelly Donut

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:15:40 am »

I'm not so much into horses, but my oldest daughter is.  Needless to say, I gotta work o/t to pay the monthly VIG on a 1/2 lease.  She loves it...my wallet doesn't so much!   :)
Jelly Donut (Sean)
2013 Forest River Charleston 430bh/450hp Cummins
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Toad)

Offline go6car

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:12 am »
Spend most of my formative years showing hunters on the east coast. Amazing times and memories. The cost is unreal, which is why most of the people I showed against have names anyone would recognize! Hard to keep up unless you go pro, which wasn't what I wanted to do with my life.

I kept my very first baby until he was in his early 40s (Yes, that's right -- loooong life!). He was the love of my life, and I even took him to many of the big shows where he held his own. (Not many out there with spots showing at those big A shows, so it was always fun to see the "looks" when he came around and then blew away the competition, LOL! Ok, ok, I'll stop bragging now! :) )

2013 Coachmen Encounter 36KS

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:30 am »
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!!!!  If I'm not talking dogs or photography - I'm talking about horses!!!!

Horses have been in my life since I was a teenager (and, before that, they were in my dreams).  All sorts of horse-oriented "jobs" ... trail leading, etc. First couple years of summer camp were at "Riding Camp".  My brother's best friend in HS had 2 horses and, being the ever-so-clecer little sister that I was, I KNEW a 16 y/o boy had other things he'd rather be doing than deal with horses.  I stepped in, offered to "help", and ended up having 2 horses all to myself whenever I wanted to ride.  When I was 16, I ended up buying one of them (the other had already been sold to a friend of mine).  Blue Frost B  (Frosty) was a 16.2, dapple "gray"  (read - WHITE) Grade Arabian x Appaloosa gelding and, for several years, HE WAS MY WORLD!!!  He had been a cutting horse out west when he was younger and we with some some of that memory bank ... eventually leading in equitation, trail, poles, & barrels (not too tough in southern CT ... where hunt seat reigns!!)  I sold Frosty when I went to college .... Equine Management & Equestrian Arts for 1 yr ..... but spent that last summer in TenSleep, Wyoming running the horse program at the National Girl Scout Center. I transferred from that college  (TRUST ME!  A Southern Baptist Finishing School is NO PLACE for a Yankee!!!)  Came back to my roots, started the Intercollegiate Riding Team at Springfield College and served as it's coach & captain for 3yrs, qualified & placed in both the Intercollegiate Regional & National Championships, and trained & taught at a local barn.  btw - beginning in my freshman yr, it was all hunt, balance, & forward seat....not bad for a former, self taught, western rider :ohyeah:

I've ridden a bit since college and served a few years as the Board President of a Premarin Rescue organization here in NH.  We had planned to adopt one of the Rescues but that just never happened.  Since then, I, TOO, have been listening to the "Voice of Reason".  I mean - I've been hauling 3 saddles around the country for YEARS...."just in case....   I only sold FROSTY's saddles last Fall!!!   Still, all I need to do is touch one soft, warm nose and look into those deep magical eyes .... and it starts ALL OVER again!!! 

Jim - maybe we can find a stable at or near Acadia....

Will have to check and see. Horse was one of my James's first words I think. AT least find some warm noses to pet, if we cant find "riding" stables.

Offline summergames84

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:36:53 am »
So good to see some bonifide horse people on the board!  It is very hard for me NOT to have a horse, especially when I get around my friends like this week that are still showing and living the life that we all love so much...the horse show world.  At least I was able to have that warm breath on my face for a couple of days.  And the horse was Delta Spark, a five year old sorrel mare that was competing in the National Reining Breeders Classic, Non-Pro division, here in Katy.  She didn't make the finals, but did her best for her dad.  Don't tell my boss, but I have been watching the Classic on the webcast on my phone when I get the chance.  SHHHHHHHH! ::)
Karen & John
2011 Outback 298RE
Katy, TX

Offline summergames84

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:44:30 am »
Many moons ago as a little boy (15 y/o) in a small town in MO. I was the IL and MO grand champion in 2 different classes on a $400 unregistered apaloosa named Tequila Sunrise. Did some pole bending and barrels, but he was more of a round the ringer. Won the Flag and Plug race overall for the season. My family rented and ran a 65 stall barn until we moved towards "the city" and gotta away from them cold turkey. My car took the horses place, which made it alot easier then, but I still get the itch and would love to just go on a trail ride one day. Probably havent sat a horse 6 times since then, but its kinda like a bicycle.

Jim

Jim, I also used to go to Friday night "Playdays" as they were called in OK.  I had a barrel/pole mare, Nellie (Miss Nellie Bars) who also was deadly at rings, flags and those fun games!  Your post brought back good memories. We would ride into the wee hours of the morning just having a great time with our horses. John and I would both ride Nellie in the events and never tire her out. We had boxes and boxes of those cheesy little trophies and ribbons!
Karen
Karen & John
2011 Outback 298RE
Katy, TX

Offline clarkely

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 11:00:31 am »
My car took the horses place, which made it alot easier then, but I still get the itch and would love to just go on a trail ride one day. Probably havent sat a horse 6 times since then, but its kinda like a bicycle.

Jim

We should plan a ride!! By know means am i a rider like you and the others - I have never seen rings or any type of competition - but my uncle had horses and i always enjoy riding when i can :)
Maare (DW - no pun intended) Loves to ride and took riding lessons as a kid and some more a couple of years ago just to get some saddle time she was sorely missing (no pun intended) - we haven't ridden together since our honeymoon :(

We should look into doing a ride - possibly Twin Streams - I am sure they are a little more liberal up there then around here or pocono's as far as being able to get out and ride....... and not pegged to the guides back side.......

this place is right around the corner from us http://www.pavisitorsnetwork.com/ttr/rates.html and seems very reasonable

This place appears to be a larger company and may offer more, and is till only right around the corner. http://www.mountaintrailhorse.com/trail-rides
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 07:43:59 pm »
We should plan a ride!! By know means am i a rider like you and the others - I have never seen rings or any type of competition - but my uncle had horses and i always enjoy riding when i can :)
Maare (DW - no pun intended) Loves to ride and took riding lessons as a kid and some more a couple of years ago just to get some saddle time she was sorely missing (no pun intended) - we haven't ridden together since our honeymoon :(

We should look into doing a ride - possibly Twin Streams - I am sure they are a little more liberal up there then around here or pocono's as far as being able to get out and ride....... and not pegged to the guides back side.......

this place is right around the corner from us http://www.pavisitorsnetwork.com/ttr/rates.html and seems very reasonable

This place appears to be a larger company and may offer more, and is till only right around the corner. http://www.mountaintrailhorse.com/trail-rides

May be something to look into and run interest by "the group".

Jim, I also used to go to Friday night "Playdays" as they were called in OK.  I had a barrel/pole mare, Nellie (Miss Nellie Bars) who also was deadly at rings, flags and those fun games!  Your post brought back good memories. We would ride into the wee hours of the morning just having a great time with our horses. John and I would both ride Nellie in the events and never tire her out. We had boxes and boxes of those cheesy little trophies and ribbons!
Karen

Wow talk about bringing back old memories, I am going to have to go find that old shoe box full of ribbons and the tupperware storage bin of trophies. What memories, feels like another lifetime.

Offline clarkely

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:01 am »
Would be fun to do a ride !!!

I told Maare abot your riding accolades - asking her if she knew you rode competitively when younger....she said no ..smiled and said she could picture you riding competitively.....

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:02:36 pm »
Would be fun to do a ride !!!

I told Maare abot your riding accolades - asking her if she knew you rode competitively when younger....she said no ..smiled and said she could picture you riding competitively.....

I hope she laughed out loud when she pictured it, because she will when I did out the ol photos. Whole package, boots, hat, big belt buckle and shirts made by my grandmother with all the tassles. :rotfl:

Jim

Offline Calvin+Hobbes

• ...Livin the dream!
    • http://www.orleanspd.com
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »
I've owned a few horses in my young adult life...I had a '65 Mustang, primer gray with a stroked 289 cubic inch motor. Had a carter AFB, and dump pipes. I then got a '68, Candy apple red fastback GT w/ white C stripes. She had a stock 390, and was my pride and joy. Sold her, and bought a '75 Bronco in mint condition. She had a basic 302, but was a joy to drive, especially on the beach. While I had to prioritize as children came along, I am hoping that I may get another Mustang- a 2012, with the new 5.0 Coyote engine......now, what color?
2015 Outback 299
Honda 2000 (x2) with extended run equip.

Hensley hitch
Me, DW(countrygurl), DS1 -19, DD1 -16, DS2 -10, DD2- 9

Black Lab mix -Shelby... 1/2 lab, 1/2 Basset and 100% goofy

Toys-

22 Key West WA 2220
2013 Ford F-150 Lariat Eco-Boost
1995 Ford Bronco
2002 Ford Excursion (Magic Bus) 6.8 V-10(semi retirement)
2013 Jeep Unlimited
19'  Enclosed Trailer

Offline clarkely

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:04:37 pm »
I hope she laughed out loud when she pictured it, because she will when I did out the ol photos. Whole package, boots, hat, big belt buckle and shirts made by my grandmother with all the tassles. :rotfl:

Jim

By her giggle i think she was picturing you in chaps............. kristen may have to have a word with her :)

Would love to see the nostalgia....i love trips down memory lane and the stories that accompany them :)