Author Topic: Networking Help  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Happy Camper

• Needing campfire time..all the time
Networking Help
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:58:15 am »
My wireless "N" router, hooked to my comcast cable modem, also has 4 wired ports, which is not enough. I need to get more wired ports...can I add another wired router to the existing router? If so how?
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Sled Hill

Re: Networking Help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:09:34 am »
One of my merchants had to do this.  They plugged a new router into an existing one because they needed to add a number of credit card machines.  I forgot what order they had to do it in, but they had to reset everything in a certain sequence.  Sorry I can't be more spacific as I am not a techy guy, but I'm sure you can do it.

Offline Blackjack

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 01:12:12 pm »
You can get an ethernet hub for this. Usually these have 4 ports. They are cheaper and nothing to configure.

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:26:26 pm »
You can get an ethernet hub for this. Usually these have 4 ports. They are cheaper and nothing to configure.
Do I plug the ethernet hub into the wireless router or the wireless router into the hub?
2017 Dynamax Isata 5 "Super "C",  towing an assortment of toys - 2012 Ultra, SXS's,Welcraft boat, Monster Golf Cart and Firewood) , depending upon the application. Arctic Fox 811 Truck Camper on the back of a 2008 F350 6.4L; going where no camper has gone before,.  Eric, Anne Michelle & Cody (AKA lick-lick).

Offline clarkely

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 01:29:58 pm »
ethernet hub into the router - this will be a powered hub that will amplify your signal across distances of wire as well :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wired-Networking/Hubs-Switches/abcat0503012.c?id=abcat0503012
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 01:47:09 pm »
Ok, so I'm looking at hubs...my network is Dual "N" or 300MPS (the wireless router) so if what am I looking for if I want  to plug my Internet cameras into it "G" is too slow for the FPS...   <BTW> thanks here!! I also have a Network extender that I have absolutely no clue how to get the wireless cameras to "talk to it"...

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »
ethernet hub into the router - this will be a powered hub that will amplify your signal across distances of wire as well :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wired-Networking/Hubs-Switches/abcat0503012.c?id=abcat0503012
Will this do the trick:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156251

Jimmie

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 08:07:12 am »
This is what I did to connect a regular 8 port router with a wireless router.  I guess that you would just substitute the wireless for another router.  Good Luck

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:48 am »
Bought a network switch...that should fix my issues... thanks everyone

Offline Happy Camper

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »
Got the network switch today and hooked it up.....now all my devices access the network just fine!!  thanks everyone!!

CoolBreeze

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 11:15:03 pm »
Glad you got it as I was too late. Switch is the way to do it. A Hub just shares the bandwidth from the router port across the ports of the hub where a switch switches the entire bandwidth across each of the ports. Either way is kind of ok but there is a good way and an ok way to do it and the switch is the good way.Putting the routers back to back accomplishes the same thing as a router and switch but you over complicate it by having the address changes.