Author Topic: C'mon now...you know you want to  (Read 7651 times)

Offline Wolfpackers

C'mon now...you know you want to
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:56:16 am »
I usually look at "Active Topics" and unread posts, and today, when there were NONE to be read, I scanned down the forum categories and could not believe there were ZERO posts in the CATS category.  Now I know we're in the minority of campers, but I know there are a lot of you that do camp with cats.  I have to give credit to our cats, as we would not own a camper otherwise.  We wanted to see the USA & Canada in retirement and don't like boarding our cats or leaving them for more than a couple of nights, so an RV was the only way we were going to be able to see this beautiful world.

The older one (with white whiskers and larger body) has been to the Grand Canyon and back....he said the GC was missing the litter in the bottom !!  They ride in the truck with us while towing and stay in the RV while we are out wandering around.

Enough words, so here are our current two fur kids.

Smokey in lounge mode

Lexie Grey when she was just a kitten in '09

One of their favorite spots to look out the window at birds and doggies on a walk

Lexie's favorite place to ride

Now, let's see your traveling cats...or stay at home ones too.

Brent

States camped in

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
Re: C'mon now...you know you want to
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:22:18 pm »
Wolfie this is right up your alley.

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline luckylynn

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:30 pm »
Well we now know who is "Boss" in your camper!     We no longer have a cat ...( Miss kitty walked the rainbow Bridge years ago and to be honest another cat could never fill her spot)....she would have loved to camp and I would have gotten her one of these  Happy Habitats for cats http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22274

Online clarkely

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 11:07:55 am »
Ours doesn't come camping with us..... but her Best Buddy does...

'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline New England Camper

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »
The cats are adorable.   :thumbsup:

We don't take our cats camping with us. I am fortunate that my mom lives next door so she takes care of them for us when we travel.

We currently have 3 cats, two calicos and a black/white male. We may be adding to our family. My mom's friend took in an abandoned cat and she can't keep it so I offered to take it if my mom can't.

If I can figure out how to upload pictures to this site I'll post some pictures of them. (I have them on my facebook page and that is simple, I take picture from phone and upload to facebook)
Thia

Offline surf tuff

Does anone have any tips on taking the cat camping
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 08:07:20 pm »
I may have to take our cat camping or there wont be any camping, and this cat screams to go outside which we would not let him out camping (he doesnt seem smart enough to find his way back to the site). Any tips?
HE WHO HESITATES ....IS LOST!

Online clarkely

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »
JUST SAY NO!!!

If i meet one more family that takes there cat camping............... I will be up  ____ creek with out a paddle!!!!!

My wife always wants our cat to go and feels so bad for her.............. when we get back you might have thought we came back from the dead..............she is all over us!!!

I have no tips - sorry
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline PA Outbackers

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:28 pm »
JUST SAY NO!!!

If i meet one more family that takes there cat camping............... I will be up  ____ creek with out a paddle!!!!!

My wife always wants our cat to go and feels so bad for her.............. when we get back you might have thought we came back from the dead..............she is all over us!!!

I have no tips - sorry
I know I have to have a cat in there I have every other stuffed animal you can think of. 8)

2014 Outback 323BH Diamond Edition Teak Interior
2017 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.6L DURAMAX CCSB LTZ Z71
 8)

Offline Nathan

• Global Moderator
  • Westward Ho!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:13:44 pm »
Our cat stays home.  If we are gone for a weekend, she doesn't notice and ignores us when we get back.  If we're gone for a week, she is affectionate when we get back (almost like she missed us   ::) ).  For the long summer trips, she is ticked when we get home and takes a few days to get over it.  Mind you she has regular visitors during the trips, but she's not exactly a social cat unless it is 5:00am.   :)
Nathan, DW, DS '03, DD '06 

Offline leema2_12

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:36 pm »
 I don't have any tips, but would welcome them. We're taking our cat camping this season as well as our 2 blue heelers. Taffy is the last of our indoor cats, and we don't want her to be lonely at home. I've been taking her
into the camper to get her used to it, but she's not too happy with it at this point. I plan to get one of the calming-scent-things. Does anyone know if those things really work ? Any other advise ?
Thanks !!
L

Offline Wolfpackers

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 10:07:10 pm »
As for tips on taking your cat camping....take it easy and just be aware when going in or out of the camper.  Ours never tried to get out, so thank heavens for that.  We bought a bunk room model RV for that reason, but never had to close them up in the bunkroom...but it is nice to have a place for food/water/litter box in the bunkroom.  On the first few trips they spent most of the time under the edge of our bed...behind the bedspread overhang.  Now that we know we can keep the cats inside, we want a fiver that is more comfy for the humans, so will be putting the bunkroom fiver up for sale in the next few days.
States camped in

Offline thefulminator

• thefulminator on webshots.com
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 10:23:15 pm »
Sorry guys.  All I see are a bunch of walking sneeze factories.
2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight with Equalizer 10K
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)
We all bleed Orange and Black
GO BEAVS

Offline transamz9

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 07:36:10 am »
This is the only cat I have.....

Offline PA Outbackers

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:48 am »
This is the only cat I have.....
Glad you have to clean his litter box not me. ;D

2014 Outback 323BH Diamond Edition Teak Interior
2017 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.6L DURAMAX CCSB LTZ Z71
 8)

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 11:50:08 am »
My daughter refuses to go camping without our cat.  He is a giant Maine coon, a big boy for sure. He is pretty cool, actually more of a dog than a cat. Got a litter box mod in the trailer, so it is totally out of sight. The only drawback is the extra fur around.  It's not oppressive, but there for sure. We take a mini shop vac out every other day or so to suck it up.  Takes 10 mins.  A pain in the butt, but my daughter has her chores.

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....