Author Topic: WiFi repeater  (Read 10231 times)

H2oSprayer

Re: WiFi repeater
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:49 am »
I'm thinking about picking up something like this -> http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Long-Range-18dBi-Antenna/dp/B00478O6AG/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329831001&sr=1-24 and mounting it to the television antenna mast.  Any thoughts on this setup?

Offline thefulminator

• thefulminator on webshots.com
2009 Silverado LT 1500 4X4 Crew Cab, 9500 lb towing capacity with Putnam XDR, + 2013 Outback 250RS, Moonlight with Equalizer 10K
Me ('65), DW ('68), DS1 ('99), DS2 ('03), Dwoof ('12)
We all bleed Orange and Black
GO BEAVS

Offline chilipyro

• Camping and Mod Photos
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:47 am »
I'm thinking about picking up something like this -> http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-Long-Range-18dBi-Antenna/dp/B00478O6AG/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329831001&sr=1-24 and mounting it to the television antenna mast.  Any thoughts on this setup?

That seems about right to me. The price is good, and Amazon has a good return policy, if you don't like it.

You won't be able to mount directly to the TV antenna mast - that setup consists of two parallel bars that need to slide so that the TV antenna pivots and lies flat when the antenna is lowered.

What I have decided on is attaching some aluminum round stock to one of the parallel bars (mounting with through bolts), and mounting the WiFi antenna to that. This has the advantage of raising the WiFi antenna above the TV antenna (my hope is that it will reduce the chances that either will interfere with the reception of the other). If I orient the flat panel mounting correctly, then I believe it should lie down flat when I crank the TV antenna down. Watch out for sharp edges that might bang against the rubber roof while in travel.
2009 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2012 F350 King Ranch 4x4 Dually Longbed 6.7L Turbo Diesel (5990lbs payload - yeah baby!!),
Reese Dual Cam Hitch, Honda 2000 gens x2
Me, DW, DS (14), DS (12), DD (10), and our two little dogs

H2oSprayer

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:25 pm »
You won't be able to mount directly to the TV antenna mast - that setup consists of two parallel bars that need to slide so that the TV antenna pivots and lies flat when the antenna is lowered.

I was thinking of just tossing some rivets through the mounting bracket into the upper television antenna mast, allowing the television antenna to still lay flat. 

However, after thinking about it a bit, I'm thinking I am not want to use a directional antenna like that as you most likely would not have the WiFi antenna pointed in the same direction as you would need for television reception, making it more of an either or and not a both type antenna. Maybe something more along the lines of this --> http://www.amazon.com/Hawking-OUTDOOR-OMNI-DIRECTIONAL-HAO9SI/dp/B00028OM9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329849860&sr=8-1 

Offline chilipyro

• Camping and Mod Photos
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »
That is the style of the antenna that came with the Jefa Tech repeater kit I bought. It helped when the signal to the camp site was strong enough to pick up reasonably well outside the camper, but was impaired the camper walls inside. It was not good at picking up a signal that was weak at the campsite, which is why I decided to give the directional antenna a shot.

You are right about the drawback to the flat panel antenna - you have to aim it towards the source of the signal - which may include up and down aiming, as well as rotational. We don't watch broadcast TV while camping, so the aiming of the antenna would not be a problem for us.
2009 Jayco G2 32BHDS
2012 F350 King Ranch 4x4 Dually Longbed 6.7L Turbo Diesel (5990lbs payload - yeah baby!!),
Reese Dual Cam Hitch, Honda 2000 gens x2
Me, DW, DS (14), DS (12), DD (10), and our two little dogs