Author Topic: 2012 Hershey PA RV Show September 12 - 16...Huge Show  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Snowhawk2

2012 Hershey PA RV Show September 12 - 16...Huge Show
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:35:50 pm »
Last year we traveled from Ludlow, MA, to this show and what a blast. If you are an RV'er at heart, this is a must show. We were at the show for 4 hours on Friday and from 9:30am to 7:00pm Saturday and didn't see everything we wanted to. It is huge and is right at Hershey Park so families can ride the rides and go the show in one trip.

From talking with the dealers at the show, this is the largest show in the country and is the biggest selling show, meaning deep discounts.  All the dealers are competing real time in deals, to sell units and make deals, and to kick off the new model years.  At one point in the show 1,100 new camper sales was circulating among the dealers. 

This is also the first show where the next year models are introduced and all of the manufacturers bring most of the floor plans. They also fly in the most informed sales people from all over the country, and the actual manufacture reps are there to answer specific questions. There are a lot of OEM accessory companies as well offering nice discounts. As an example, we bought a Carryout Direct TV portable satellite dish  brand new, in the box, from Camping World, for $575 and I was about to pay $650 locally.  This show is especially great if you are in the market to buy because you can shop, compare campers and quality, and get the dealers to compete against each other.

Now for us it was about a 5 hour drive and we found a very nice campground about 25 minutes away, east north east of Hershey. It was clean, had nice big pull through sites, a full service restaurant on site, and a quiet campground that could easily accommodate a large group. We are going again and will be making reservations in March. If anyone is interested in more information or in going please contact me. I'm new to this forum and I hope I'm not out of line in terms rally protocol but I wanted to share this experience with the members. I not trying to start a rally and don't know how to do so, but if anyone else wants to go.......let us know.  We will be going a day earlier this year, arriving on Thursday and returning on Sunday.

Rich and Jackie 8)
Coach 2016  Newmar Ventana 4322 44' Class A Diesel Pusher.

Offline Willingtonpaul

• Live for today; Plan for tomorrow....
Re: 2012 Hershey PA RV Show September 12 - 16...Huge Show
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »
i do want to go to this show sometime.  but this year we already have a trip scheduled to charlestown, RI that weekend.  i will run this by DW though.  we have done the breachway in mid sept. for the last 3 yrs, so maybe it is a time for something different....

2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4326
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2015 Ford F150 Fing Ranch
Paul('69) Adele('68) Mila('03) Ethan('05)
Lara the Golden ('13)
Brewster the Golden ('17)

Just doing my part to control the flying insect population with camping every trip....

Offline clarkely

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:08:37 am »
If you are an RV'er at heart, this is a must show.

This show is especially great if you are in the market to buy because you can shop, compare campers and quality, and get the dealers to compete against each other.

Rich and Jackie 8)

It is an Awesome show for the consumer........ You have the opportunity to compare everything....... we were able to compare every model in depth, that made the floor plan we wanted......

If you are shopping for an RV, and can wait for the show to compare models (price and quality) it is with out a doubt a must....... being able to narrow down your choice to what you want.......... We were sold on the floor plan we bought - the show confirmed that when we compared it to some of the other floor plans we had considered.....

We were not sold on the Brand we bought, we actually were convinced we wanted a Heartland or forest river - based on what we saw and had read up on - we actually decided at the show after walking back and forth between the brands and looking at it that we wanted the camper we eventually bought....

I would say there are deep discounts to be had at the show - but they are not necessarily Dealer driven, i feel they are manufacturer driven (I am not saying dealers aren't lowering prices - as they are, maybe even to much) - I say that because i found that i could not buy my brand of camper from the dealer i wanted to buy from at the show - My local dealers that were there did not have the "rights" to sell it at the show, they had rights to sell only this brand or that brand - which meant to getting the really good price meant i had to buy from a Non local to me dealer....... Before i did i asked my local dealer - who was at the show selling other brands - and they told me where i would be if i bought from them - and they were 20% more........ I prefer to but local within reason (to me that would be with in 5%)

I wish I had the opportunity to buy the camper from the dealer I had wanted - and that, that dealer was able to offer the same show discounts - probably would have cost a little more than the dealer i bought from - but probably would have been with in my window to "keep It local"

At least that was my experience in 2008 and what i was told by folks there that i knew........ it could be different or have changed.......
'17 Open Range 3X427BHS - 2018 Duramax - Happy Campers

Offline swanny

• Global Moderator
    • Our Travels and Things
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:40:26 am »
We bought twice from the show, and did really good. We got top dollar for our trade ins, that they didn't even see. To tell you the truth we got what we paid for them. the used 2 year old Outback and Montana.

kevin
2012 Montana 3625RE   07 Gmc 2500 Dmax / Allison
04 Skeeter Fish and Ski w/ 150hp Yamaha
DW Kathy  Goldens, Kobe (RIP) Yogi & Emma
http://OURTRAVELSANDTHINGS.shutterfly.com/

Offline PA Outbackers

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:27 pm »
Our local dealer was cheaper than at the show.The lowest price we could get at the show was $2000.00 more. 8)

2014 Outback 323BH Diamond Edition Teak Interior
2017 Chevy Silverado 3500HD 6.6L DURAMAX CCSB LTZ Z71
 8)

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:47 am »
We bought from this show last year and got the deal of the century. I beleive that was do to other circumstances, actually I know it was do to other circumstances at play. Regardless youcan get deals there and the selection is amazing, over 900 units on site and we have met people that will take 3 days to traverse the show, documenting and photographing the whole way.

Also a ridiculous amount of vendors.

But,  :( I will be working that weekend.

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline Snowhawk2

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:24:03 pm »

But,  :( I will be working that weekend.

Jim

Mr. joonbee, Jim, let's call your boss and get you the weekend off!

Rich 8)

Offline joonbee

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 09:38:19 pm »
Mr. joonbee, Jim, let's call your boss and get you the weekend off!

Rich 8)

Well I get every other weekend off, so that would be an impossible sell. I plot most of my days in the beginning of the year, but I do save some for unforseen circumstances that I m ay have to take off. If I still have a few unaccounted for come Sept, we will see what happens.

Jim

Jim, Kristen, James and Aaron
Sierra and Merlin (Border Collies)

Offline Snowhawk2

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:58:42 pm »
Well I get every other weekend off, so that would be an impossible sell. I plot most of my days in the beginning of the year, but I do save some for unforseen circumstances that I m ay have to take off. If I still have a few unaccounted for come Sept, we will see what happens.

Jim

Sometimes we have to do what we have to do and other things get in the way of camping, like work.  When that happens, I think without work, there is no camping.  i just need to figure out how to make my work, camping!  There will be plenty other weekends to camp.

Rich

Offline Lad79der

• Dog and Trailer Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 12:35:45 am »
Just quick heads up... I moved this over to the general around the campfire category and out of the rallies section... Thanks guys!

Matt
2012 Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed 4x4 Cummins 6.7
2011 Outback 277RL